Today’s most commonly searched keyword in google is “Anxiety Depression and Stress“. Why are these terms suddenly becoming important in our modern life? Reason may be factors like our disordered lifestyle, Influence of modern gadgets like TV,Mobile, excessive use of Internet, social media, diet, nuclear family, environment, toxin accumulation, exercise levels etc.
If we try to understand this disorders in a layman's language;
Anxiety /fear is a mental disturbance caused by overthinking about “Future” ex: fear about exams, interviews, Job security, maintaining relationship, career, financial risks etc
Stress/Tension is a mental disturbance caused by overthinking about “Present ex: achieving goal, commitments, pressure to meet schedules, running behind goals, race against time etc
Depression/Worry is a mental disturbance caused by overthinking about “Past” ex: failure in exams, relationship failure, death in the family, loss of money /business etc.
As the body and mind are interconnected, these mental factors also influence body functions by creating health issues and discomforts.In medical terms this is called as "psychosomatic diseases".
In Ayurveda, these mental factors are directly linked with the characteristics of 5 energy elements in the name of Vata (Ether and Air), Pitta (Fire and Water) and Kapha (Water and Earth) called as Tridosha. Tridhosa is the driving forces behind everything happening from creation to death at atomic to cosmic level in this universe.
- Vata - a movement principle exhibits the qualities of Air/Wind in the characteristics of an individual like creativity, artistry, energetic, inspiration, enthusiasm, intuitive behaviors. But if the air energy is imbalanced they show up nervousness, anxiety, fearfulness, weirdness, manic, insecurity, negative dreams, suicidal behaviors. Similarly, at body level it causes sleeplessness (Insomnia), headache, palpitation, tiredness, joint pain, constipation etc
- Pitta - a transformation principle exhibits the qualities of Fire/Sun in the characteristic of an individual like leadership, commanding, ambitious, Sharpness, clear thoughts. But if imbalanced, it displays stress, anger, hypertension, irritation, judgmental, controlling, violent behaviors. Similarly, at body level it causes acidity, heartburn, skin irritation, blood pressure, excessive hunger, thirst, fever etc·
- Kapha – a stability and cohesive principle exhibits the quality of water/ Moon in the characteristic of an individual like patience, generosity, peacefulness, nurturing, love, loyalty, compassionate behaviors. But if imbalanced, it displays depression, worry, stubbornness, possessiveness, holding grudges, attachment to objects, selfish characters. Similarly, at body level it causes slow digestion, nauseousness, obesity, dullness, lethargy, water retention etc.
According to Ayurveda, health is not merely considered to be a state of freedom from ailments or diseases, but rather a state of enjoying uninterrupted physical, mental and spiritual happiness and fulfillment. Ayurveda considers any treatment with a holistic approach to cure both body and mind.
So Ayurveda approach for treating such mental imbalance would be, a combination of any of the below mention solution based on the individual's body and mind constitutions analyis (our body is made up different ratio or combination of five elements):
- Daily Routine (Lifestyle Change)
- Taste and Dietary Recommendation
- Oil Massages / Abhayanga and Shirodhara Treatment
- Yoga and Meditation
- Herbal Supplements
- Ayurveda Medicine
- Panchakarma Treatment (Detoxification Therapy)
Prevention is better than cure. All these solutions can also be followed by a healthy individual if he wants to balance his body and mind in a natural way.
Reach out to me to know more about similar preventive and practical lifestyle changes through "Ayurveda wellness workshop" that can help you to keep your body and mind healthy.
Health is Wealth. Be Healthy!!