Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
Surya Namaskar is a combination of few Yogasana postures. This is a well balanced set of movements that will stretch all the muscles in the body and keep the body and mind healthy. There are 13 mantras which are different names of Sun God. We should chant a mantra before each Surya Namaskar.
Om Mitraaya Namah
Om Ravaye Namah
Om Suryaaya Namah
Om Bhaanave Namah
Om Khagaaya Namah
Om Puushne Namah
Om Hiranyagarbhaaya Namah
Om Mareechaye Namah
Om Aadityaaya Namah
Om Savitre Namah
Om Arkaaya Namah
Om Bhaaskaraaya Namah
Om Shree Savitru Suurya Naaraayanaaya Namah
- Step One:
- Step Two:
- Step Three:
- Step Four:
- Step Five:
- Step Six:
- Step Seven:
- Step Eight:
- Step Nine:
- Step Ten:
Benefits to the Physical Body:
- It increases your energy levels as it eliminates fatigue and lethargy.
- It purifies your blood.
- It helps stimulate the nerve centres.
- It strengthens the abdominal muscles and eliminates stomach ailments.
- It squeezes stagnant blood from the abdominal organs.
- It removes excess fat and wind.
- It helps improve digestion.
- It exercises and tones arm muscles.
- It tones the spinal nerves and makes the spines flexible.
- It improves the muscular structure of the body.
- It increases stamina.
- It makes you resistant to illnesses.
- It is a good warm up exercise for your body before any other activity.
- It relieves constipation.
Benefits for the Mind:
- It helps focus the mind.
- It establishes and improves the state of concentration and calmness.
- It facilitates quick progress in meditation.
- It sharpens your intellect.
- The pure blood flow to the head region enables you to think clearly and increases wisdom.