Do you have shooting and traveling pain from back to leg while sitting for a long time in the office? Be Aware ! You might have Sciatica.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica - Sciatica is a common type of pain affecting the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg. When something injures or puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, it can cause pain in the lower back that spreads to the hip, buttocks& leg.
Common Symptoms of Sciatica
- Lower back pain
- Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting
- Hip pain Burning or tingling down the leg
- Weakness, numbness & difficulty moving the leg or foot
- A constant pain on one side of the leg
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up
What Causes Sciatic Nerve to Flare up?
- Lumbar spinal stenosis - narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back
- Degenerative disc disease - breakdown of discs,which act as cushions between the vertebrae
- Spondylolisthesis - a condition in which one vertebra slips forward over another one
- Muscle spasm in the back or buttocks
Back pain worse include
Being overweight, not exercising regularly, wearing high heels, or sleeping on a mattress that is too hard or too soft.
How Physiotherapy Helps to reduce Sciatica Pain?
Getting relief from sciatic pain does not always require medication, surgery, or painkillers.
Precautions- Precautions are very important to reduce pain. Do not lift heavy objects, bend repeatedly, sit for long periods, or do anything else that might aggravate your back.
Regular sessions of physiotherapy play a very terrific results, session depending upon how long time you were suffering from it.
Aim of Physiotherapy
- Reduce pain
- Restore movement
- Strengthen weakened muscles
- Reduce tension
- Removing the pressure on Sciatic Nerve
Treatment Given by Physiotherapist
By using a combination of the following techniques, Patient has recovered from severe Sciatic Nerve Pain.
- Spinal mobilizations
- Trigger point therapy
- Stretching tight muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments
- Ultrasound and other electrical stimulation devices
- Mayo fascia release & Muscle energy technique
- Cupping Postural Guidance & Postural Correction
- Strengthening Exercises of back & nerve
- Tapping Technique to support wear muscles, ligaments