Weight Lifting builds muscles and accelerates the metabolism of the body. More muscles in the body will result in higher metabolic rate. You can do compound exercises, means multi-joint movement exercises that work multiple muscles at one time, either by using body weight or lifting weights that have been designed to work specific muscles in the body in order to build them.
Weight lifting is a technique that provides resistance to the muscle to increase their mass and strength. It is one of the more popular forms of strength training that helps building the size and strength of skeletal muscles. Skeletal muscles are the voluntary muscles in our body that are attached to the bones through bundles of fiber. There are many exercises that help develop and strengthen various skeletal muscles in the body. Below is the list of best weight lifting exercises for different muscle groups like biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, back, abs, quadriceps, hamstring, calves and forearms.
Best Weight Lifting Exercises
Best Weight Lifting Biceps Exercises
- Barbell Curl: This is the most basic of bicep exercise where to increase its effective increase the weight with which you do not more than 10 reps. You can do it alternately and do it with barbells for proportionate growth.
- Preacher Curl: Preacher curl works the muscle in isolation and exerts stress on the muscle for increase in mass and strength. Helps work the fore arms also.
- Close Grip Chin Ups: This is a great compound exercise where it requires lifting the body weight with biceps working the core as well. Build strength and stamina in the muscle.
Read and watch to know about 5 biceps exercises for big muscles
Best Weight Lifting Triceps Exercise
- Dumbbell Tricep Extension: You can do tricep extension either on the bench lying or sitting or on a decline bench. Triceps extension helps the muscle work in isolation and build triceps big.
- Dips: Keep your body upright to allow maximum tension on the triceps to build power, strength and mass. You can do dips with a bench, parallel bars or by the side of your bed.
- Bench Press: On of the most effective tricep exercise where you can increase tension by add extra weight. You can do bench press with dumbbells or barbells. It works the triceps and the chest also.
Best Weight Lifting Shoulders Exercise
- One Arm Cable Pulley Rows: This exercise builds muscle mass and strength and brings power to the shoulders. You can do upright rows with barbells or dumbbells.
- Overhead Press: You could do overhead press with dumbbells or barbells. Overhead press is a highly effective shoulder exercise. Maintaining the right positions will build immense strength and muscle.
- Lateral Raises : Lateral raises can be done with dumbbells and you could do two types of the raises. Front lateral raise for front deltoids and side lateral raise for side deltoids.
Best Weight Lifting Chest Exercise
- Bench Press: It is a effective exercise for building upper body especially the chest and triceps as they exert maximum tension on them. There are many variations you can do with bench press like with dumbbells or barbells on decline, incline or flat bench. Increase weight for muscle mass.
- Butterfly Machine: Butterfly machine pumps up the chest and builds big chest muscles. Cable cross over and dumbbell fly are also highly effective exercise.
- Incline dumbbell Fly: Mind the posture while doing this exercise. It is a isolation exercise for chest and works for a big bulging muscular chest.
Best Weight Lifting Back Exercise
- Pull Ups: One of the best back building exercise. The exercise is difficult in the beginning but gradually build endurance and strength in the core which involves the back. You can do variations with chin ups or pull ups. Do palms facing inwards, outwards, inverted chin ups and parallel grips.
- Rowing: Rowing helps build overall back muscles in mass and width. You can choose between barbells and dumbbells and increase weight to increase intensity. You can do bent over row, dumbbell row or machine row.
- Deadlift: It is a complete back exercise which involves power. The deadlift works the thighs, glutes and calves along with the complete back. Builds power, mass and strength and size.
Best Weight Lifting Abs Exercise
- Crunches: Highly effective exercise for the rectus abdominis (6 packs). It is a beneficial exercise for beginners and works in building muscle and strength.
- Mountain Climbing: This exercise works the entire core and involves hanging in the air while performing the exercise. It works the lower abdominal region and can be done with bent knee raises and straight knee leg raise. It builds strength and endurance in the ab region.
- Cross-Body Crunch: As you need to burn fat from the sides and build oblique muscle twist exercise is a highly effective exercise for strengthening core muscles and losing fat from the sides. Tones the back and abs.
Best Weight Lifting Quadriceps Exercise
- Squats: It works the front thighs, glutes and lower back. For strong lower body and and big muscles squats is highly effective. It can be done with barbells for increase in intensity. Mind the posture while doing squats.
- Lunges: Maintaining a right posture and keep back straight is important while doing lunges. Exert pressure with front thighs to push body weight up and not the back. Tones the thighs, glutes, back and hips. Use dumbbells for bigger and toned muscles.
- Leg Extension: This exercise is an isolation exercise for front thighs. It pumps up the thighs and helps build muscle mass and strength. One of the best exercise to build quadriceps.
Best Weight Lifting Hamstring Exercise
- Romanian Dead lifts: This deadlift works the hamstring, glutes and lower back. It build muscle mass and strength in the hamstring for muscular thighs overall.
- Straight Leg Dead lifts: It takes a lot of effort to do this exercise where you are supposed to keep your legs straight and not bent. Though is a compound exercise which works the calves, glutes but very effective for hamstring.
- Seated Leg Curl: It is a isolation exercise completely for hamstring. Again a great exercise to build strength and muscles in the hamstring. Do it easily and properly for maximum benefits.
Best Weight Lifting Calves Exercise
- Standing Calf Raise: It involves raising your body slowly on your toes and stretching the most while at the top. Don't jump while doing the exercise and add weights on the shoulders to increase the intensity. You can use a barbell, smith machine, hip belt, dumbbells to do variations with calf raises.
- Single Leg Standing Calf Raise: Concentrate on the bottom and top part while performing the exercise. Use weight to build big muscular calves. Check the momentum of the exercise and don't hurry through.
Best Weight Lifting Forearms Exercise
- Wrist Curl: This exercise works the inner forearms while it increase the width of the wrist for building muscles. It involves curling the wrist and can be done with weight for more muscle mass and strength.
- Reverse Curl: This exercise works the outer forearms. Usually this muscle of the forearms get missed out reducing the size of the forearms. Use weights to increase intensity of the exercise.