Tips to ensure Good Sleep Hygiene:
- Set and maintain regular sleep and wake up on time.
- Avoid afternoon naps.
- Avoid drinking tea/ coffee and alcohol close to bedtime.
- Exercise 20 to 30 minutes a day.
- A warm bath, reading or soft music helps.
- Keep bedroom comfortable, quiet and dark while sleeping.
- Avoid excessive time in bed.
- Chronic sleep deprivation leads to obesity, pre-diabetes, diabetes, dementia, so it is of utmost importance to have 6-7 hours of good quality sleep. Sleep deprivation increases the development of dyslipidemia which correlates with the risk of atherosclerosis and ischaemic heart disease.