With the weather getting hot, it is important to keep oneself hydrated, but always be careful, rather extra careful when choosing summer beverages, in this period of lockdown. It is 35+ degree Celsius outside. Peak summers are here; there is a need for change in diet for healthy living.
1. Add curd and lassi with mint leaves in daily meal plan -- For all those who suffer from constipation, gas, and acidity in the summers, this one is an absolute must-have. Make sure the curd is not too cold and you have removed it 30 minutes before consuming it from the fridge. Avoid eating refrigerator items as much as possible to stay away from a cold/ cough infection.
2. Sabja seeds and chia seeds -- (both are different) -- Not just a quick detox but an instant cooler and bloating reliever.
3. Coconut water -- Prevents dehydration, cramps, and migraine reliever during PMS trouble.
4. Jeera (cumin) water -- Calm your nerves and aids in fat burning.
5. Jaun (Barley) water / Sattu water -- Brain food, cooling in nature, best for weight loss.
6. Include juices - Lemon, aloevera, bel, wheat grass, bottle gourd, mint and amla for glowing skin in summers. (homemade)
7. Start the day with seasonal fruits in summers like litchi, grapes, jamun, melons, mango (act as antioxidants)In salads, have cucumber once in a day -- best 30 mins before lunch.
8. Fruit smoothies or buttermilk as mid snacks rather than fruit juices. Fruit juices seem tempting to many but people with diabetes mellitus, PCOS and obesity can spike up their blood sugar levels with even 1/2 a glass of fruit juice and worsen the already existing hormonal imbalance.The best way to have a fruit is to eat it and best way to have vegetables is to drink them. Vegetable juice is a low calorie drink full of nutrients; hence great for weight-loss too.
9. Limit alcohol intake.
10. Hydrate with normal water or infused drinks.
Add-on tip: Add gondkatira as a coolant in any drink.
Sharing the recipe of Healthy Watermelon Mojito (virgin/ non alcoholic). Best summer coolant is easy to prepare too. Enjoy it with family as mid-morning or evening beverage.
Ingredients: 2 lemons, 7-8 fresh mint leaves, 1-2 tsp black salt, 4 tsp finely chopped watermelon, water and ice Powdered Sugar 2 tsp -- optional (not recommended if the goal is weight loss) can be given to kids.
Recipe: Crush mint leaves and pestle till they release juice and put in 2 glasses.Squeeze 1 lemon each in every glass. Add 1/4th tsp black salt in each glass. Fill the glasses half with water and top with 2 tsp each finely chopped watermelon. Let it stand for 20 mins. Add ice and serve chilled. Even with added sugar, it is less than 100 kcal and refreshing.
Exercise for 30 mins 5 times in a week for good blood circulation to avoid migraines and headaches in summers. Recent events have taught us how important good health is. Let us stop taking health for granted and start getting responsible.
Health is a treasure, value it!