Rising obesity rates are a major concern around the world. Understanding the basic science of weight management and some of the strategies for attaining and maintaining a healthy weight is very important to a person's overall health because obesity is a risk factor for many chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, thyroid, PCOD and cardiovascular diseases.
There are many factors that contribute to a person's weight including diet, physical activity, genetic, environmental factors, medications and illnesses. Key components of weight management-
1. Energy balance- is a phrase used to describe the difference between the number of calories consumed and the number of calories burned in a time period. So, the quantity of food and drink consumed by an individual play a very important role in weight management. Additionally, the type of food and drink a person consumes are very important to weight management.
2. Physical activity- It is the main component of a person's daily energy expenditure. It is important to remain physically active in order to maintain a healthy weight and avoid developing non communicable diseases like diabetes, heart disease and dyslipidemia. Sometimes it can be difficult to be physically active in an area of a person's life due to things like occupation, physical fitness level and living environment.
3. Basal metabolic rate- BMR is the amount of energy that is expended during a given amount of time by a person at rest. BMR is directly proportional to a person's lean body mass. BMR is also affected by acute illnesses, infections, fever and other chronic diseases.
4. Genetics- genetics play an important role in weight management and contribute to a person's risk of becoming obese. In fact, several Gene's have been found to be associated with elevated Body Mass Index (BMI) and obesity.
5. Medications-certain medications can cause either weight gain or weight loss.
6. Diseases- there are several medical conditions that are associated with either weight gain overweight loss. Conditions such as Diabetes, PCOD, hypothyroidism and Cushing's syndrome there is weight gain and conditions such as hyperthyroidism and many cancers there is weight loss.
Homeopathic management and treatment for Obesity
Homeopathy is very proficient in managing weight and further more plays a vital role in preventing relapse of the condition.Homeopathic remedies are prescribed based on physical, emotional and genetic makeup that individualizing a person. Homeopathy attempts to correct the basic cause of illness like digestive disorders,improves metabolism and help in easy elimination. Certain homeopathic medicines are extremely effective in reducing weight as they help to burn calories faster by speeding up the metabolic rate.It is the most scientific and effective method of treatment with permanent cure.