Winter is here! It is that time of the year where your dreaded hair problem makes snowfall possible even in a tropical country like India. You might also notice an increase in hair fall in winters, but there's nothing much to worry about. The foremost reason is the change in seasons. In winters, dry and cold air pulls out all the moisture from your scalp, making it dry. A dry scalp leads to dry hair and results in breakage, and hair fall.
Again, it's the dry scalp causing dandruff during the cold season. Dandruff is nothing but excess shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp which can lead to other hair problems like hair fall, split ends, frizzy hair, itchy scalp etc.
And to top it all, the numerous parties that you attend during this time and the styling products used on the hair are also responsible for excess hair fall and dry hair.
Let's see a quick list of possible causes for hairfall and dandruff in winters and home remedies to treat them!
Other factors that make you more susceptible:
1. People who don’t comb or brush hair regularly have a slightly higher risk of having dandruff – this is because they are not aiding the shedding of skin that combing/brushing provides.
2. People with naturally dry skin and dry scalp tend to get dandruff more.
4. Psychological stress - Stress is linked to many types of skin and hair problems.
5. Lifestyle factors - Frequent bathing in very hot water; an unclean environment; poor quality of water in which you wash your hair; excessive use of cosmetics, hair gels and hair dyes cause hairfall.
Hair care tips to reduce hair fall in winters:
1. Wash hair with lukewarm water only.
2. Condition your hair and scalp correctly and regularly with natural oil or products. Massage the scalp twice a week, with the tip of the fingers, this promotes hair growth.
3. Use a gentle shampoo or natural cleanser like Shikakai with reetha and amla or gram powdered on the scalp which produces oil and, is the area that really needs cleansing.
4. Shield your strands from UV rays. The rays of the sun are harsh even in winters and can damage your hair. Wrap a scarf or use a cap while stepping out.
5. Don't leave the house with wet hair. Ideally, let them air dry. Don't dry off using a towel.
Basic personal care for dandruff:
1. Avoid blow-drying your hair daily: It will make your scalp dry and irritable, thus causing added flaking. If you do have to blow-dry your hair, use the drier only after 60% of your hair has air dried. Remember to use the drier at least inches away from the scalp.
2. Avoid extremely hot water showers: Very hot water can strip natural oils from the scalp, making it flake more.
3. Get some sun exposure, which is good for dandruff cure.
4. Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with 5 tablespoons of coconut oil and apply 30 minutes prior to washing your hair.
5. Wash your hair only twice or thrice a week as excess use of chemicals leads to dandruff.
6. Mix yoghurt and egg and apply 30 minutes before washing your hair.
Some people are very allergic to chemicals and excessive use of shampoo or other chemicals causes more dandruff. Hence, it is advisable to stick to natural methods while dealing with dandruff.
If you follow the above tips religiously, then within a few weeks, you will see the results yourself. However, it is best to consult a dermatologist if your hair fall or dandruff is severe.