Come winters and we all crave for more carbs and fatty food. We also have an easy way to hide that extra fat - under warm and heavy winter clothes, so why not gorge on fried, comforting foods! But, on the contrary, have you ever thought of winter season as the perfect opportunity to cut your belly fat and to get fit?
It's easier than it sounds. All you need is to know how to enjoy winters without gaining weight!
Here are quick tips that will help you keep your weight in check during winters:
1) Drink plenty of water - Water is very necessary if you have to detoxify your body and maintain a healthy weight. Besides water, you can include some warm vegetable soups in your diet instead of drinking aerated drinks and sugary drinks. Also add some spices to it like ginger and garlic. You can also add herb tea or coconut water too.
2) Have small frequent meals and avoid skipping meals, especially the 1st meal of the day i.e. Breakfast.
3) Eat more of fruits and veggies (choose low Glycemic Index foods) in your diet for fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidant requirement. Don’t forget to eat cruciferous vegetables (e.g.broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage), sweet potatoes, tomatoes, red peppers and citrus fruits as they contain vitamin C, which boosts your immunity.
4) Choose carbs smartly, go for complex carbs like whole grains, oats, brown rice instead of simple carbs - Eat lean proteins like lean chicken, fish, sprouts, nuts, low fat yogurts, skimmed milk,and healthy fats like Omega-3 i.e. walnuts, olive oil, fish, flax seeds, etc.
5) Add some spices (e.g. garlic, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, etc) in your meals while preparing food. It will make your food taste great and help you improve your immune system.
6) Snack wisely - Choose fruits, unsalted nuts, vegetables, seeds, etc. as your passtime snacks.
6) Prefer home cooked food over ready-made packages - Preferred cooking method should be– steaming, boiling, baking, grilling.
7) Exercise daily for 30 - 45 minutes which will help you feel more energetic and healthier.
8) Get a daily dose of some sunlight - Try to spend at least sometime (10- 15 mins) outdoors in sunlight every day.
9) Get plenty of sleep - Lack of sleep can have a serious effect on your immune system, making you more vulnerable to catching colds.
10) Limit the salt intake in diet - Instead try adding some herbs like ginger, garlic, lime, etc.
11) Avoid eating processed, fried, and sugary products.
12) Quit smoking and avoid drinking alcohol and caffeinated beverages.