Adenoids are a lump of lymphoid tissue situated in your upper airway between your nose & back of your throat. They are a part of the immune system and are only present in children by the age of 7-8 yrs. They start shrinking in size and by late teens they are barely visible.
Adenoids help the child fight infection and to protect the body from bacteria and viruses. Unlike tonsils you may not be able to see the child’s adenoids by looking in their mouth. An x ray (STN-soft tissue neck) or scan may be required.
Adenoids are enlarged when there is an:
- Infection with bacteria or virus
Symptoms of Hypertrophied or Enlarged Adenoids
- Breathing through mouth
- Breathing stopped for a few seconds during sleep (sleep apnoea)
- Bad breath
- Running nose and nasal congestion/nasal obstruction
- Frequent sinus infections
- Frequent middle ear infections.
Self-help measures includes
- Warm saline gargles.
- Steam inhalation
- Avoid cold drinks and cold food.
- Avoid cold, damp and overcrowded places.
ENT specialist mostly offers surgery for hypertrophied adenoids. A short course of antibiotics or anti-allergics may give temporarily relief.
Homoeopathy offers customized treatments to cure enlarged adenoids and tonsils and it also enhances the body's immunity to fight recurrent infections. Homoeopathy is safe and gentle for kids and helps in getting rid of enlarged adenoids permanently.