One visits a doctor if they feel physical discomfort/ illness, or a personal fitness trainer to achieve a fitness goal. In these two scenarios, the individual approaches a trained professional who uses their skills and knowledge to help the individual achieve their goals. Similarly, a Counselling Psychologist is a trained professional with expertise in helping individuals achieve emotional and mental wellness.
Counselling is for everyone:
• Individuals who are currently suffering from mental and emotional distress/ illness
• Individuals who simply want to do more with their lives by achieving emotional and mental well-being.
The Counselling psychologist helps their client achieve emotional and mental wellness by enabling the change the client wishes for.
Some work done by Counselling Psychologists are: Facilitating/ Helping client (s):
- Change problem behaviors - Habit of procrastination, stopping or starting a behavior, reducing negative thinking, Limit the use of technology, Anger outbursts, etc
- Deal with people effectively - Communication issues in marital relationship, communication issues at work with superior or subordinates, some unavoidable family members, etc.
- Deal with problems effectively - Work-life balance, Coping with stress, Limiting screen time for children, etc.,·
- Achieve Mental well-being - Practicing Mindfulness, Meditation, and other Relaxation techniques, Develop meaning and purpose in one's life, etc.
- Gain Self-awareness - Understanding one’s thoughts, emotions and behaviors at depth using insights gained through therapy
- Recover from Mental illness - Dealing with Anxiety, Depression, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Panic attacks, Substance abuse, etc.
- Heal from Emotional / Traumatic Life incidents -Loss of a loved one, Abuse – Physical, Sexual and Emotional, Neglect, etc.
- Handling Life transitions effectively - College goer to working professional, Getting married, Having a child, Retirement, Moving Jobs, Unemployment, etc.