FEVER in children – common causes and treatment
An abnormal body temperature. Fever is a temperature of 38°c or higher. Fever is one of the ways the body fights with infections.
What causes fever in children?
Almost all fevers are caused by some infection. Viruses cause 10 times more infections than bacteria.
1. Viral infections- colds, flu and other viral infections are the most common cause.
2. Bacterial infections- a bladder infection is most common cause of silent fever in girls. Strep throat is also a common cause of unexplained fever.
3. Sinus infection- this is a problem caused by a cold.
4. Vaccine fever - fever with most vaccines begins within 12 hours. It lasts for about 2-3 days.
5. New-born fever (serious)- Fever that occurs during the first 3 months of life can be serious. Babies with newborn fever need immediate attention and treatment.
6. Meningitis - a bacterial infection of the membrane that covers the spinal cord and brain.
7. Overheated - this can occur during heat waves or from overdressed and can also occur during hard exercise.
8. Hidden causes can be tonsillitis, ear infections, kidney infections, or sore throat.
9. Change of season - Rain brings several diseases due to contamination of food and water with bacteria and virus. Humidity, sudden change in weather, breeding of bacteria, viruses and insects give rise to infections with fever, colds, cough, diarrhoea, dysentery and diseases like typhoid, malaria, dengue, pneumonia and so on.
Home care for children during fever
1. Fluids alone can lower the fever. Reason being well hydrated helps the body give off heat through the skin.
2. For all children, dress in 1 layer of lightweight clothing unless they are shivering.
3. Sponging with lukewarm water- use lukewarm water and sponge for 20 to 30 min. If your child shivers or becomes cold stop sponging.
Caution- if a baby under 1 year has a fever, never overdress or bundle up. Babies can get overheated more easily than older children.
Warning signs of high fever/complication during fever
1. Children are floppy and drowsy
2. They are vomiting
3. They have ongoing headaches
4. They have a stiff neck
5. The light is hurting their eyes
6. The fontanelle (a feature of the infant human skull comprising any of the soft membranous gaps) is bulging
7. They are not taking fluids
8. They not passing urine well
9. They have had fever for more than three days
10. They have been in contact with someone with a serious infection
Homeopathic management and treatment
If fever is not attended in time, it may lead to severe complications. In India, most of the time fever are treated with high-end or strong antibiotics. These antibiotic medicine kills other helpful bacterial and flora of our intestine and thus hampers the absorption of food and results in lowering the body's immunity.
Homeopathy remedies are very safe. It helps to build natural immunity against the bacteria or viruses and thus total cure takes place. Homoeopathy is the safest way to treat babies and without any side- effects or interactions. Homeopathy is a holistic way of treatment for curing any illness. It considers the overall picture- a person's emotional makeup and general health, the type of illness and specific "modalities" that make- two patients presenting with the same complaint, different. A trained health professional in homeopathy will always provide the most appropriate treatment and most effective outcome.