Are your eyes itching, nose is running, you're sneezing, and/or you're covered in hives? In that case the most well-known enemy, “ALLERGIES” has attacked you. It is getting close to allergy season again, and allergy being a very prevalent problem, freedom from this situation is like a dream.
There is a great misunderstanding that allergies are caused by allergens, but they are caused by an unusual reaction of our body’s weak immune system to things that are usually not harmful to a healthy body like various allergens such as pollen, dust, cat dander, mites, and several more. In an effort to defend the body from that allergen, the immune system produces IgE antibodies called Histamine. The histamine then acts on a person's eyes, nose, throat, lungs, skin, or gastrointestinal tract and causes the symptoms of the allergic reaction. Future exposure to that same allergen will activate this antibody response again. This means that every time you come into contact with that allergen, you'll have an allergic reaction. Therefore, just treating symptoms or avoiding the allergen will only give temporary relief of symptoms, and so, the permanent cure would be to strengthen the body's immune and defense system.
Causes of Allergy:
- Airborne particles like dust mites (tiny bugs that live in house dust), mold and mildew (small living things that grow in damp places), animal dander and pollen from grass, flowers and trees.
- Insect bites and stings.
- Foods, such as milk, wheat, soy, eggs, nuts, seafood, and legumes, which include peas, beans, and peanuts.
- Latex, cosmetics, laundry detergent, dyes, household cleaners and pesticides.
- Certain medicines like antibiotics.
Symptoms of Allergy:
- Sneezing, itching and irritation of nose, ears, throat, skin.
- Stuffy, runny or tingling nose.
- Burning, watering, itchy or red eyes.
- Cough, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
- Skin rashes like Eczema, Hives, etc.
- Feeling of sinus pressure in and around the nose and cheeks.
- Ear fullness and popping.
- Dark circles under the eyes.
- Difficulty swallowing, throat hoarseness with soreness.
- Headaches and / or Heart palpitations.
- Fatigue, Joint aches, muscle pains.
- Stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Swelling especially in the lips, other parts of the mouth and throat, eyelids, genitals, hands and feet (angioedema).
- Anaphylactic Shock is a serious allergic reaction, which requires immediate hospitalization.
Homeopathic approach to Allergy:
Allergies indicate a defective immune system and are considered in Homeopathy as communication from the body that something is not right. Homeopathy believes that the allergen is just the trigger to the problem and not the underlying cause. Homeopathic treatment can remove the underlying cause for the allergic tendency and eliminate it completely. A Homeopathic practitioner does not treat the disease itself, but looks at the entire individual and how the whole body reacts. An appropriately selected Homeopathic remedy that is individually chosen to the totality of symptoms that the person is experiencing, not just the allergy symptoms, stimulates the body's vital force and immune system so that the body can heal itself.
However, Homeopathic medicines can also be used to treat the acute phase of their allergy. Homeopathic treatment is safe and gentle, without any side-effects. Homoeopathy medicines are prescribed on the basis of physical, emotional, and genetic make up that individualizes a person. Homoeopathy is very effective in managing all the symptoms of Allergies and also plays an important role in preventing relapse of the condition and improving the general health of the person. Another outstanding thing about Homeopathy is that people on multiple medications can safely take Homeopathic medicines. Homeopathic drugs are non-habit forming and have no addictive characteristics. Homeopathy has an exceptional proven safety record with the FDA with 200 years of clinical effectiveness. Since it treats in totality, it leads to a permanent long-lasting cure, rather than a temporary suppression of symptoms.
Along with Homeopathic medicines some self care measures to follow:
- Keep family pets out of certain rooms, like your bedroom, and bathe them often.
- Remove carpets or rugs from your room (hard floor surfaces don't collect dust as much as carpets do).
- Get rid of items like heavy drapes that allow dust to build up.
- Clean your house very frequently.
- Use special plastic covers to seal pillows and mattresses if you're allergic to dust mites.
- If you're allergic to pollen, keep windows closed and use AC’s. Don’t use fans since they can stir up dust.
- Filter the air and clean air filters and air ducts frequently.
- Change your clothing after being outdoors and air out damp clothes and shoes before storing.
- Don’t leave wet clothes in the washer, remove them promptly.
- Don’t hang clothes out in the backyard to dry, as pollen and molds may collect in them.
- Don't mow lawns and do not collect too many indoor plants as soil encourages mold growth.
- Keep damp areas such as basements, garages and bathrooms clean and dry.
- Don't allow smoking in your house or in your car.
- Make sure there is an exhaust fan over the stove to remove cooking fumes.