The backbone is made up of multiple small bones which are connected together by a softer bone. The spine is what allows important body movements including bending and walking. The issue is, with age, the backbone also loses its elasticity and becomes rigid. Though this is a natural process with ageing, lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle makes it worse.
Lumbar spondylosis is the medical term for this chronic, degenerative condition of the lumbar and the sacral spines (the lower portion of the backbone). This leads to chronic stiffening of the spine, affecting movement. This joint is very crucial in all bending movements and spinal movements.
Causes of Lumbar Spondylosis:
1) Ageing: As the condition progresses, the nerves that run through the spines can get exposed and there could be pain and irritation. Genetic abnormalities that produce a weak bone Spinal trauma like accident or falls.
2) Sedentary lifestyle: Sitting in front of the computer for prolonged hours also causes lumbar spondylosis
3) Overuse: People who are weightlifters tend to put excessive pressure on the spine, causing lumbar spondylosis.
- Stiffness and pain in the lower back
- Pain with continued sitting
- Numbness and tingling if nerves are getting affected
- Loss of balance, leading to frequent falls
- Losing control over bowel and bladder movement
- Pain radiating to the lower legs
This includes a combination of external applications, yoga, and food preparations including kashayas and tailas. This condition is caused by increased Vata and Kapha. Shothhar kashayam like maharasnadi etc reduce these problems. Pain and inflammation is relieved by the use of various Guggulu including Mahayogaraja Guggulu, Simhanada Guggulu, Trayodashang Guggulu as per the need of patient. The affected joints can be hydrated with the use of vasti treatment, Snehan, Abhyang, kati vasti, Sweden as required. Ashwagandha is known to lubricate the vertebral discs and joints. External treatments like Abhyanga, lepa, alabu chikitsa are useful in improving joint movement. They improve circulation and help in removal of toxins so that pure blood can flow and reduce inflammation.
Vasti: This helps in improving nutrition to the joints and bones, thereby helping them repair themselves and heal.
Yoga for lumbar spondylosis:
The five most effective asanas are:
- Ardha Kati chakrasana
- Ardha Chakrasana
- Chakrasana (sitting in a chair)
- Sit in a comfortable position with adequate back support.
- Take short breaks to avoid continued sitting.
- Sleep comfortably, by resting the back adequately.
- Strengthen the back muscles by regular exercises.
- Eat healthy, avoid junk, and drink plenty of water.