According to Vagbhata in Uttara Tantra the fever comes under the category "Kit Dansh Janya Jwar" in Ayurved
- Use mosquito net while sleeping
- Cover exposed skin by wearing long sleeve shirts and pants
- Use insect repellents
- Clean the garbage around the house and stagnant water
- Keep water containers covered
High grade fever (102-104 degree F), joint pains, skin rashes (most commonly appears at extremities such as palm, feet etc) usually occurs after onset of fever.
If Chikungunya is detected in blood sample test the following simple home remedies would give excellent results in fighting it -
- Boil water with Tulsi (3/4 leaves), Giloy Stem (small in length) , Neem leaves (3/4 leaves), Clove (3 pieces), Small Pipli (2 gm approx) to prepare kashayam (called "Kaada" in hindi). Take this kashayam after food 3 times per day. This will help in bringing down the fever and also restore the lost immunity. The residue of the kashayam should not be discarded and may be taken orally by chewing and swallowing.
- Garlic paste may be prepared at home and be applied on swollen joints for immediate pain relief
- Simple massage oil may be prepared by mixing and heating castor oil (1 teaspoon), coconut oil (2 teaspoon), dum streak also known as Sahajan (3-4 pieces), Camphor balls (2-3 pieces), 3 cloves, garlic (3-4 pieces). During application, oil should be sufficiently warm.
- If the platelets count of the patient goes low which may happen in few patients, then Dashmool kwath (2 teaspoon with hot water) twice a day, Maha Sudarshan Kwath (2 teaspoon with hot water) may be taken to increase the platelets count.
- Laxmi Vilas Ras (twice a day)
- Avoid non-veg food
- Eat more of green leafy vegetables, soup and semi-liquid diets,
- Coconut water for detoxification of liver
- Vitamin C enriched food such as Citrus food, Kiwi etc
- Vitamin E rich food such as wheat, nuts etc
- To increase platelets take count papaya leaves kashayam, goat milk