Food is a personal choice but there are pros and cons of what we eat. Here are a few factors about the Vegan and non-vegetarian diet.
Advantages of Vegan diet:
- Anti-Oxidants: Green leafy vegetables, fruits, nuts and herbs tend to have medicinal properties and are rich in antioxidants. Work of Antioxidants is to fix the free radicals and throw them out of your body to prevent you from many diseases and disorders. On the contrary red meat and chicken increase the toxicity in the human body.
- Minerals and Vitamins: Plant-based diet is much higher in minerals and vitamin contents. There is common belief that vegetarians suffer from Vitamin B12 deficiencies which is not true as many vegan products such as Soy milk, Soybeans, and fortified cereals have sufficient amounts of Vitamin B12. In a case of deficiency, an oral supplement can be taken.
- Water: Plant-based diet is rich in water. Consuming fresh fruits and vegetable help in completing the total per day water requirement as well. Sufficient calories: A vegan diet is full of fiber, water, protein and all the micronutrients and also provide sufficient calories. However, a non-vegetarian diet may provide extra calories than a person’s requirements leading to obesity.
- High in Fiber: All the plant-based foods, be it cereals, pulses, fruits, vegetables or nuts are full of fiber. Fiber is also an integral part of one’s daily nutritional requirements. Fiber provides bulk and helps in passing stools easily. Fiber also cleans our digestion system. Non-vegetarian foods mostly lack in fibers.Taking fiber insufficient fiber in the daily diet can result in digestive system disorders such as colon cancer, indigestion, acidity, constipation and loss of appetite.
Disadvantages of Non-vegetarian diets
- Over boarding with protein, carbohydrates and fats: Non vegan food products such as fish,eggs, chicken, mutton and beef are usually high in proteins, carbs and fats which makes it difficult for our digestion system to digest. Only if the non-vegan products are taken with good amount of vegetables/salads, the digestion of non-vegan foods go smooth, or else it may produce acidity, indigestion and constipation.
- Carcinogens: Carcinogens are the bodies which give birth to cancer in human bodies if they get deposited in the human body. Many studies have proved that an animal-based diet is high in carcinogens. The reason for this could be unhygienic breeding, feeding and slaughtering of animal foods. Low antioxidants: Chicken and red meat give high crabs and proteins but are severely deficient in mineral and vitamin contents. This can lead to body toxicity resulting in anxiety, irritated behaviours, low energy levels, and headache and stomach discomfort.
- Aggression: Many studies say that people usually taking animal foods are much more aggressive than the vegan people. This can be due to toxicity, heat and low water levels in the body. On the contrary, a vegan person usually tends to remain calm and show less anger in their family and workplace.Heart diseases: Red meat is usually high in calories, fats and bad cholesterol which can put the consumer at a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension(Commonly known as high blood pressure), elevated LDL levels (Resulting in blocked arteries)0, and cardiac arrest due to blocked arteries.
- PCOD and Obesity: In last few years as the number of animal food consumers have been increasing, poultries are struggling to make the supplies. To cope with the demand, a malpractice of injecting growth hormones may occur which make a chicken grow 6 to 9 times of its size in a short span of 6 to 9 weeks. Eating this kind of food can trigger the onset of PCOD and other hormonal imbalance diseases in females. This can also disturb the metabolism. Ultimately one can have obesity.
- Unhygienic food: The hens that are grown for the purpose of chicken are called broilers. A huge amount of chicken is grown in a limited space. This makes the air and environment around them polluted and dirty. Lack of fresh air, lack of cleanliness and excess of their excreta waste can lead to damaged organs. If those kinds of chicken are consumed as food, it can lead to health issues such as abdominal discomfort, food poisoning, or intestinal disorders.
Being a vegan, and following an all plant-based diet help you in improving your energy levels, establish a good digestion power, maintain water levels. The diet is rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins hence this helps you in building a better immune system that means one will fall less sick. require any exposure to infected materials, hence crops are hygienic.