Hair loss will take place in women due to health conditions, change in hormone levels, pregnancy, and other issues. It is quite normal to experience hair fall with ageing. Some women inherit female pattern baldness. Most of the women lose hair during menopause stage in their lives. It is very much important to visit the dermatologist to figure out the difference between female pattern baldness and other types of hair loss. As you implement the treatment at the earliest, there will be a great relief and the hair fall can be arrested quickly.
- Female pattern baldness is caused by genetics. You can inherit baldness from your father or mother. If your close relative suffers from female pattern baldness, you are likely to suffer from hair loss.
- The female pattern baldness is induced due to the underlying endocrine condition.
- Most of the women will develop female pattern baldness in their middle age. Women will lose hair in their 40s and 50s.
- Smoking will increase the risk of female pattern baldness.
- The high levels of testosterone will also lead to hair loss.
- The over-processing of hair will also lead to hair loss. The damaged hair shaft will break very easily. Usage of hot tools and excess bleaching will lead to loss of hair. In some cases, the hair loss will not take place from the root but it will take place from the shaft.
- Women suffering from an autoimmune disease will suffer hair loss. If you are suffering from the autoimmune condition, your body recognized your hair as foreign material and hair shedding takes place.
- Women going through intense stressful conditions will suffer from hair loss. The emotional stress, as well as physical stress, will lead to hair loss.
- Dandruff or psoriasis will also lead to hair loss. The skin on the scalp will become itchy and hair will fall down very easily through scratching. Some women will lose hair by undergoing medications to treat high blood pressure, HIV and depression.
- Women can experience hormone-induced hair shedding due to changes in birth control pill.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Testing will be done to diagnose the type of hair loss not related to female pattern baldness. By performing the blood test, other types of hair loss will be assessed. The levels of thyroid hormone, iron and androgens will be assessed to figure out the cause of hair loss.
- As female pattern baldness cannot be prevented, steps should be taken to minimize the hair loss. By following a different type of hairstyle, you will ensure that the head is covered properly.
- Minoxidil is the approved drug by FDA which can be used to treat the female pattern baldness. The medication will thicken the hair growth. You might witness results in 6 to 12 months. You should be aware of the side effects before starting the medication.