Insomnia is one common problem faced by people of all age group.And with the recent statistical data and records being collected by various health agencies, this number is tend to increase in the coming years. Now, The common question asked by most of the patients suffering from insomnia visiting a doctor is-
1. Is it a serious problem?Yes it is. Insomnia can be because of various reasons and biggest out of them is depression, and in today's world, especially in India, people are still afraid to talk about this problem for they do not want to be labeled as "Psycho".
2. Can it be treated without any medicine?Again, yes it can be.Every patient has different requirements and some need medicines but mostly insomnia can be treated by leading a healthy life style.
3. Do I need a doctor for this treatment?As I told you above, If you feel that your daily routine is being affected and you feel that you need a doctor, It's like a wake up call by your body and you should consult a doctor. Now, coming to the tips that can help you tackle Insomnia are-
1. Make a daily routine and stick to it- Our body has been fitted with a biological clock and it's meant to function according to it only. Remember the saying "Early to bed early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise". Being wealthy actually depends upon your capability but being a doctor I can say that for sure it will help you become healthy.
2. No coffee/Tea after noon- A coffee in the morning to wake you up is Ok, but what's up with Post-supper cappuccino or post-dinner tea? Post-luch tea/coffee will be drained out of stimulus till bed-time but still researches say 25% of stimulus remains in your blood at that time as well.Who knew, regular get togethers and perfect dates at Starbucks in the evening is the main culprit because of which you are not able to sleep well at night.Wait, someone ever noticed how cast of our favourite TV series F.R.I.E.N.D.S. always used to hang out at CENTRAL PERK with huge coffee mugs? Someone tell them about this point!!
3. Avoid Junk and processed food- Keep your diet healthy and avoid junk food/processed food as much as you can. Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and eat lots of seasonal vegetables and fruits.Not only it will keep your bowel all sturdy and healthy but help you in fighting Insomnia.
4. Exercise- The best way to reduce the stress and have a good night sleep is Exercising.Come on people, get on with it and shed some sweat. Not only will it help you achieve good shape but regular exercise will help you release stress relieving hormones and in turn help you getting a good night sleep. A good 40-60 minute workout everyday is all you need and you body deserves this much time out of your daily routine.
5. Unwind when you get home- Leave the office tension there itself. Your life is much bigger than that, and you need to know this. Spend some time with your family and if you want to be alone, great, spend some time with yourself. Do what you like to do, anything.Personally, whenever I feel like am getting too much stuck up in my work, I prefer getting on my bike and going on a ride. Trust me, getting some "ME" time is very important.
6. Sex- Yes, it's true. Having sex before going to sleep not only improves your relation with your partner but also comes in handy when you want to sleep. After intercourse, men’s bodies flood with prolactin, a hormone that is also naturally higher during sleep. It’s likely that the hormone’s release during orgasm causes men to feel sleepy. Add to that hormone soup oxytocin—sometimes called the cuddle hormone, and which is also associated with sleep—and it’s no wonder he’s snoring within minutes. But he’s not alone! Women produce more oxytocin than do men—which can be a recipe for a good night’s sleep for you, too.
7. Turn off the mobile phones and laptops at night- You want to sleep without any problem, do yourself a favour, stay as much away from Mobile phones and laptops with facebook, twitter, whatsapp and youtube especially at night. Trust me, When your parents told you this, they were right and you need to follow what they said. Go for a good novel instead of electronic media, remember the time when you were studying and just one paragraph from you text book was all it needed for you to sleep.
8. After all this, I would like to add something out of personal experience, Help someone in what so ever you may every single day. Be nice to each other and animals as well.It will make you feel good and appriciate yourself.The world you live in is like you want it to be, and by spreading joy and love you not only will be able to sleep well but might as well help some other person too.If incase, you still feel that you might need some professional help, donot hesitate to consult a doctor.Take care,