Tinnitus is ringing sound or whistle sound perceived by individual in ear or head in the absence of external sound. Patient hear ringing, whistling, hissing, pulsating roaring or clicking sounds varying intermittent to constant , low pitch to high pitch.It is common in old age.
- Wax in ear canal
- Continues Hearing to loud noises
- Reccuring sinus infections middle ear infections
- Stress and long term Insomnia
- Jaw mis-alingment
- Cardio vascular problem- It is usually pulsating tinnitus but often with heart beat
- Due to Tomour on or compressing Auditory or Vestibular Nerve
- Head and neck injuries
- Long term Migraines
- Long term medications such as Antibiotics, aspirins (Damage Inner ear)
- Vascular tumours of middle ear (Glomus tumour)
- Aneurysm and arterio-venous shunt around the ear.
- Live insects in the ear
According to Ayurveda Ear is considered as one of the nava dwaras. There are various diseases affecting the ears. Preventive therapy have mentioned in Ayurveda classics karna abhyanga(Massaging ear) and karna poorana (Ear drops) . Tinnitus is the ringing sound in the ear which causes great stress and emotional handicap. It is estimated that one out of every 5 people experiences tinnitus).
कर्णस्रोतास्थिते वाते श्रृणोतिविविधान्स्वरान् ।
भेरि मृदङ्ग शङ्खानां कर्ण नाद: स उच्यते ॥
Vata effecting the canals of ears makes the patient to hear sounds as that produced by kettle drum, cymbal or conch.This is known as Karna nada. 3 (Ch. 57 Sl.2, p 193)
Exposure to snow and cold items, swimming/diving , pricking or probing the external auditory canal, improper instrumentation, sound pollution, injury. By above said causes, the vata dosha vitiates causes ear diseases.
When vata gets localized in the channels which convey sound,the person hears different kinds of sound often, without any reasons. This is known as Karna nada(Tinnitus)
Breakfast is usually desirable. Use hot cereals such as cream of rice or wheat or any other breakfast that is warm, milky, and sweet. Take warm food, moderately heavy in texture, add butter and fat. sweet and sour tastes are desirable. Reduce dry foods and bitter tastes. Use warm or hot water and drinks. Raw nuts and nut butters.
Useful Spices: cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, ginger, cloves in moderation.
Consumption of caffeine, nicotine, or cocaine can disturb the prana vayu leading to tinnitus hence avoid it.
- Nasya: Vacha (Acorus calamus) oil nasya, has a powerful effect in calming and balancing the Prana vayu
- Abhyanga Massage) Shiroabhyanga(head massage) and padabhyanga(Foot massage), wherein the soles of the feet are massaged with warm sesame oil, has a specific effect in calming the prana vayu.
- Karnapooran:(Ear drops)To calm the vata in the ears, ten drops of warm sesame oil is applied daily to each ear. The oil is allowed to remain in the first ear for five or ten minutes, then that ear is cleaned
- Kawala & Gandush: Gargling of medicated oils or certain liquids/Kwath is Kawala.It strengthens the nerves of eyes and ears and also pacifies aggravated vata. Gandush is Withholding medicated oils or certain liquids in the mouth for a certain period of time