Summer, though really a great time to be outdoors, is also a time to be extra caring towards your hair. Like sun damages your skin, it also damages your hair as well.
Excessive exposure to the sun can cause weak, dry, brittle hair and also more susceptible to split ends. Sweat and dust contributed by summers increase hair problems like dandruff, split ends, frizziness and increased hair fall, etc.
Tips to keep your hair healthy and shiny in summers:
- Drink plenty of water. Your hair and your skin will benefit immensely from the amount of water and extra fluids that you have. So opt for cooling liquids that will help you keep your hair healthy and hydrated.
- Eat a healthy diet for good health of your hair. Include omega-3 (fish, walnut, flax seeds, olive oil etc),iron (e.g dark green vegetables like spinach), Vitamin C (e.g citrus fruits like kiwi, orange, alma etc), proteins (e.g lean chicken, fish,egg, curd,skimmed milk, sprouts etc), zinc (e.g nuts) , vitamin A (e.g carrots) in diet.
- It is essential you cover your hair with a hat or a scarf during summers. This protects it from the harmful UV rays and it also helps in retaining moisture.
- Tight hairstyles can be damaging because they tend to pull and tear hair, especially if your hair is dry from the summer heat. Hence put your hair up in loose, comfortable styles.
- Use a wide-tooth comb instead of a brush.
- Use a mild shampoo and always dilute the shampoo with an equal quantity of water and then apply to the slap.
- Hair scalp sweats more during summer and it may lead to dandruff. This might make you feel like you have a dirty scalp, making you want to wash your hair every day. But washing hair daily will strip your hair of its natural oils. Therefore, wash your hair on every 2 days or alternate days and not on every day.
- Splint ends forming is higher in summer hence trim your hair.
- Oil your hair twice a week as it is a good way to get healthy and shiny hair.
- Exercise daily. Yoga or simple exercise like walking will helps in maintaining good health and proper blood circulation which will result in better hair.
- If you’re the type of person who loves swimming in summers then you should wet your hair before you enter the pool. This way it will absorb lesser chlorine.
- Avoid excessive dry heat, such as that from blow dryers, flat irons, and curling irons.
- Don’t dry your hair with blow dryer.
- Avoid any sort of hair treatments. Keep straightening, curling or any other treatments for later.
- Avoid eating refined flours, fried, sugary, and processed and junk food.