PREMATURE WHITE/GREY HAIR: CAUSES AND HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT
Hair growth happens when old cells are pushed out by the hair follicles due to the production of new cells. It occurs in three stages—growth (anagen), cessation(catagen), and rest (telogen). During the rest period, your hair reaches its lifespan and falls out, and a new strand grows in its place.
When your hair grows, it is injected with pigments that give it colour. With age, the amount of pigment that is injected into each strand of hair gets reduced, which is why it turns grey and eventually white Hair is naturally coloured by a pigment called melanin, which is released by special cells called melanocytes. As your age progresses, the hair shaft and your hair follicles begin to wear down. Over time, the number of melanocytes decreases or they cease to function as effectively as before – and that’s when you begin to see signs of “greying.” But premature greying can have several causes and risk factors.
CAUSES OF GREY HAIR
1. DEFICIENCY OF MELANIN: In most of the cases, a deficiency of melanin is the leading cause of hair whitening. The production of melanin depends upon appropriate nutrition and protein supplements. The lack of these nutrients causes melanin to fall below acceptable levels.
2. GENETICS: The tendency for greying early can be coded in your DNA. And in a study on 6,000 Latin Americans, scientists recently identified the gene – IRF4.
3. HORMONES: Your hormones have a huge impact on the pigmentation of your hair. An imbalance can cause your hair to turn white.Fore.g. a)Thyroid Disease: An underactive or overactive thyroid can affect the melanin production in the hair which can cause premature greying b) Vitiligo, etc
4. NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES: VitaminB12, vitamin D3, copper, and iron can all rob colour from your hair. The lack could be because you aren’t having enough of these nutrients through diet (or sun rays, in the case of D) or you have an underlying condition that hinders their absorption – for instance, low stomach acid decreases B12 absorption.
5. SMOKING: Smoking is one of the sources of the free development of radicals in your body, which cause oxidative stress. This may lead to a decline in the pigmenting capacity and melanin, which result in greying of hairs.
6. FAULTY DIET: Consumption of junk food and processed food may increase oxidative stress and deposition of Advanced Glycation End products. This accelerates ageing. Lifestyle plays an important role in one’s life. It’s all about your appearance. Greying of hair symbolises ageing irrespective of your actual age. Of course, if it’s due to genetic factors, one cannot help it other than experience it. However, other factors are avoidable and treatable. All you need to do it eat right, have beauty sleep and avoid unwanted habits. Excessive use of electric dryers and hair irons
HOW TO REVERSE HAIR INTO ITS NATURAL COLOUR?
VITAMINS AND MINERALS
- Vitamin B: It is helpful in increasing pigments responsible for the production of black hair. You can consume vitamin B rich foods like spinach, avocados, legumes, Brussels sprouts, vegetable root and orange juice.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is best used alongside vitamin B. Vitamin C-rich food includes bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwis, broccoli, berries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, peas, and papayas.
- Copper and zinc: Include foods like brazil nuts, kidney beans, potatoes, lentils, mushrooms, raisins and prune juice, cashew nuts, seeds, liver, and chocolates as they contain copper and zinc essential for melanin pigments.
- Curry leaves: These leaves can be boiled with coconut oil, cooled and massage well into the scalp. If it is too difficult to obtain, you can use its powdered form, which can be either added with oil and can be consumed mixed in ghee.
- Henna: Another famous remedy, which gives a slight auburn tinge to the hair. It can be mixed with curd, honey, lemon paste to apply overnight as a hair mask.
- Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass is a magical herb is a powerhouse of vitamins, iron, copper and proteins. It can be used in the form of juice, paste, and powder or even added in food.
- Guava leaves: These leaves can be found as pre-packaged powder, which can be applied to the hair mixed with other extracted oil.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Orange: Orange can be consumed in the form of juice or used as a paste. The citrus in orange can assist in increasing the production of melanin pigments.
- Lemon: Lime is rich in citric acid and can be used as an anti-oxidant. The application of lime juice can decrease dandruff and reverse greying of hair. The powder of dried lemon seeds can be also used in the format of paste. Alternatively, dried lime or lemon powders can also be used.
- Ginger: Regular consumption of ginger powder with honey is helpful in providing vitamin C to the body. However, pregnant and people suffering from kidney disease shouldn't-consume ginger without the advice of their physician. Apple: The fruit is rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins. Regular consumption of apple either in the form of fresh fruit or juice can help slow the greying process.
- Pineapples: Pineapples also helps in increasing the production of melanin pigments and acts as a source of increasing vitamins to mobilize the pigments for hair growth.
TREATMENT FOR WHITE/GREY HAIR
- You need to consume calcium sodium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, Proteins to check hair loss & greying hairs.
- Take plenty of water, Free from contaminants to eliminate toxins, regulate metabolism and to moisten your scalp, preventing constipation.
- Go for meditation to reduce stress, anxiety, to nourish cells, tissues including hair -follicles to allow growing healthy and shining hairs.
- Eat apples, carrots, cheese, papaya, grapes, ripened mangoes, milk, ginger, garlic, onion, almonds, walnuts, spinach, fish, nuts, regularly
- Homoeo medicines are gentle, rapid & safe, opt it wholeheartedly. @ Acid phos1000-6-6 pills, weekly.@ JaborandyQ-20 drops, with 20 drops of water, amply on the scalp, twice/ day.
- Avoid, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, junk food, exposure to dust, scorching Sun.
- Use protein shampoo
- Massage with olive oil, weekly 2 times, may go for a complete package to check hair-loss & greying hair with dandruff.
For more information on this, consult an expert.