With the rampant surge of natural wellness mantras and heightened worldwide obsession with coconut oil, oil pulling is now trending like never before. Social media confessions by famous celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Miranda Kerr, Shailene Woodley, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen swear by the benefits of oil pulling from whiter teeth to healthier gums.
What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy involving the act of swishing oil (usually organic COLD PRESSED Sesame, Sunflower or Coconut) in the mouth for up to 20 minutes in empty stomach to remove oil-soluble toxins from the body. The practice of oil pulling started in India about 3000 years ago, and the modern resurgence was initiated in the United States in the early 1990s by a medical doctor named Dr F. Karach. Oil pulling is definitely an INEXPENSIVE AND SAFE practice with a plethora of anecdotal support including help with skin conditions, arthritis, asthma, headaches, hormone imbalances, infections, liver problems and more. It is suitable for every age group including pregnant and nursing women. Children old enough to spit can safely try oil pulling.
Step by step Guide
1. Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth. The oil traditionally used in oil pulling is organic sesame, coconut or sunflower oil. It is also possible to do oil pulling with pre-made coconut oil chews.Oil pulling is best done in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, though it can be done before meals if needed.
2. Swish for 20 minutes. Apparently, the timing is key, according to Dr Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, as this is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky as it mixed with saliva during this time and it should be creamy-white when spitting out. It will also double in volume during this time due to saliva. At first, it can be difficult to make it the full 20 minutes. Feel free to spit it out and start again but stick to the total desired duration.
3. Spit oil into the trash can/supplement container. Do not spit in sink, toilet or shower area as the oil may thicken and clog pipes. Do not swallow the oil as it is presumably full of bacteria, toxins, dead skin and/or pus.
4. Rinse well with warm water. Warm saline water seems to clean the mouth better to remove any remaining oil out of the mouth followed by regular brushing.
- Oil pulling is known for its ability to eradicate bad breath and reduce plaque in the mouth because of its ability to help wipe out harmful bacteria like Streptococcus mutans. Lauric acid present in coconut oil specifically works against this bacteria.
- It reduces tooth decay by reducing the microbial count. Some reports even claim that it aids in remineralizing of teeth but lack sufficient evidence. Teeth sensitivity is reduced if oil pulling is done on a regular basis.
- The oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that brighten and cleans teeth, enhancing your smile with whiter teeth. Do not expect a drastic change in tooth colour as achieved with professional whitening systems.
- Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness of jaw by providing temporary relief from symptoms.
- It is very effective in treating acute gingivitis by reducing swelling and bleeding from gums.·
- Oil pulling ritual results in super smooth and clean teeth moisten lip and cheek and soothe the dry throat.
- It has an overall effect of strengthening teeth, gums and jaw.
1. BOOSTS IMMUNE SYSTEM: Oil pulling generates antioxidants which damage the cell wall of microorganisms and kill them thereby removing the noxious culprits without stressing our immune system. We eventually feel more energetic with better clarity of mind. Oil pulling is even one of David Wolfe's top 10 tips for next level health!
2. DETOXES AND PURIFIES THE BODY: Oil pulling activates salivary enzymes which absorb chemical, bacterial and environmental toxins from the blood and remove them from the body through the tongue. It is claimed to improve the longevity of human beings.
3. MAINTAINS HORMONAL BALANCE: Without having to compete with foreign substances, hormonal balance is intact and they function to the best of their ability.
4. REDUCES HEADACHES: When the body is under toxic stress, headaches and migraines are a common byproduct which can be avoided by eliminating harmful micro-organisms from the body via oil pulling.It also helps in reducing hangover after alcohol consumption.
5. CLEAN AND CLEAR SKIN: Oil pulling drastically reduces rashes, acne and other skin problems by removing toxins from the body that would otherwise enter the bloodstream. It aids in the reduction of eczema.
When you start oil pulling, it will be extremely difficult to pull the oil against your teeth for even few minutes. It is common to feel nauseatic or even have stomach upset for the initial few days. It is natural to build it up over time with practice and experience some of the positive effects immediately, or over a period of time. Oil pulling can be safely used as an adjunct to daily oral hygiene habits to improve the overall health of the mouth/body and is definitely not a substitute for regular brushing/flossing.