Headaches are normal. In fact, exceptionally common with all of us. However, we often get confused with the type of headache we are suffering from and might go wrong with its diagnosis and treatment. It is thus important to understand the difference between two common types of headaches, a Migraine headache and Tension headache.
Difference between a Migraine headache and Tension headache
Tension headaches happen because of stress, anxiety, lack of sleep or because of your repeating habit of stressing. It presents with mild to moderate pain, especially behind the eyes. These don’t usually point to a genuine sickness yet we see that even a mild headache is sufficient to upset your daily activities.
Migraine headaches are, however caused because of the issue of a migraine and such headaches bring along nausea, stomach pain, and irritation to sound and light.
Regardless of whether it is children or adults or even kids nowadays, they all complain of headaches. In this article, we will look at Ayurvedic perspective of diagnosing and treating tension headaches in particular.
Ayurvedic perspective on Tension Headaches
In Ayurveda, headache is known as shira shoola. As per Ayurveda, a headache is categorized into 2 levels - one is physical level and another is mental or emotional level.
Physical Level Stress
A physical headache usually is seen due to lack of metabolic rate in the body. This bad metabolism may be due to:
- Improper meal timings
- Eating food which is not compatible with your body
- Drinking alcohol or Smoking
- Not eating or not sleeping on time
- Taking similar type of food
All these habits lead to the generation of toxic system in the body.
Emotional Level stress
Emotional stress is caused due to factors like:
- Long working hours
- Increased anger development
- Improper lifestyle activities like working for too many hours without taking a rest
Treatment in Ayurveda for Tension Headache
There are various treatments in Ayurveda to prevent a headache.
- Firstly, taking care of basic metabolism or stomach related issues.
- People who are suffering from indigestion problem should start by having a very light diet.
- Eating food in time is very important.
- It is advised to take a lot of fluids.
- Avoid junk food and food which is very difficult to digest.
- Follow a lifestyle which is stress-free and positive.
- Abhyangam: In this treatment, oil is applied on the head to relief the contraction of the muscles and to relax the mind and body.
- Nasya: Nasya is a therapeutic treatment for the nose, throat, sinuses and head. The face, shoulders and chest are massaged with herbal oils that induce perspiration (sudation); an exact dose of herbal extracts/oil is gently poured into the nostrils, while inhaling.
- Lepas: Lepas are the medicated pastes applied on the forehead for relief from headaches.
Prevention of tension headaches is something that everybody looks for and the most natural way to go about it is through yoga, meditation and adopting a healthy way of life. Avoid pressure and everything that causes stress which is almost difficult, but not impossible to achieve in this time and age. However, if you are experiencing chronic headache, it is advised to consult a specialist immediately.