When you’re making your journey through menopause, sleeping through the night may seem like an impossible dream.
Insomnia and sleep disturbances caused by hot flashes leave many menopausal women tossing and turning or waking up drenched in sweat. The next day, irritability, anxiousness, fatigue, and trouble concentrating are common.
Tips to improve your sleep in menopausal:
- Drink plenty of water daily to avoid water retention, dryness etc. Eat more of vegetables and fruits for fibre and antioxidant requirement and include complex carbohydrates like whole grains, brown rice, oats, etc. Eat lean protein like sprouts, lean chicken, fish, nuts, low fat yogurts, etc. Include healthy fats in your diet like omega-3 fats, sources; flax seeds, olive oil, fish, olive oil etc.
- Maintain your Ideal / healthy weight.
- Eat small frequent meals and do not skip any meal.
- Maintain a regular bedtime schedule, including going to bed at the same time every night.
- Avoid napping in the late afternoon or evening if you can. It may keep you awake at night.
- Try not to watch television or use your computer or mobile device in the bedroom. The light from these devices may make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
- Keep your bedroom cool and well-ventilated.
- If you just can’t get back to sleep after 20 minutes get up and go into another room. Try doing something quiet and once you begin to feel sleepy go back to bed.
- Exercise regularly but not close to bedtime.
- Avoid eating large meals close to bedtime.
- Limit you caffeine intake. Caffeine which is found in some coffees, chocolate, etc. Avoid it especially during late in the day.
- Avoid spicy foods and fatty food.
- Do not stress. If anxiety during menopause is keeping you awake at night, try a relaxation technique such as yoga, deep breathing to de-stress.
- Limit the salt intake.
- Avoid processed, fried, sugary and junk food.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid alcohol and alcoholic beverages.
- Talk to your doctor if you regularly have trouble sleeping so they can help you manage it and get a better night’s rest.