Plantar Fascitis (heel pain) is now a common problem among people. In gender ratio, it occurrs in women than men. This occurs when the plantar fascia gets inflamed due to over stress. The pain is usually more on first putting the step after along resting position, early morning when waking from bed, stretching the feet upwards. In some cases the pain is so severe can’t able to put the heel on floor when rising from a sitting position.The triggers factors that causes plantar fasciitis are long standing posture on a hard surface, obesity, excessive pressure on foot etc.
The plantar fascia is a thick flat band of tissue (ligament) that originate from the heel bone to the base of toes. It supports the arch of your foot. Actually the plantar fasciitis as it is named not an inflammatory condition of plantar fascia. It is a non inflammatory micro tear of the fascia result from over stress on its surface. There is also calcification of fibrous tissues of plantar fascia.
Management with Homeopathy treatment:
- Try to avoid prolong standing posture on any hard surface.
- In case of women, they usually do cooking and other house hold work standing for a long periodds. In this case it is advisable not to stand for a long period and give break for few minutes. Otherwise they can use silicon pads inside the shoes. Though in our tradition the shoes not allowed inside the kitchen, but a silicon pad packed shoe can be kept only for using inside kitchen.
- To relieve pain you can apply both ice and warm application alternately. Keep two tub, in one tub fill with cold water and in other one warm water. Dip your foot first in warm water tub for 1 to 2 minutes then remove out and put in cold water tub for 1-2 minutes. Do it 5 to 6 times daily before going to bed
- Homeopathic medicines- Common homeopathic medicines that help in plantar fascitis are Rhus tox, Ruta, calc flour, arnica, calcarea carb, silicea, calcarea phos etc.
Some exercises to relieve pain:
- Toe exercise- Sit in a chair, and extend your affected leg so that your heel is on the floor. With your hand pull your big toe up and back. Pull toward your ankle and away from the floor. Hold the position for at least 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 2 to 4 times a session, several times a day.
- Calf exercise- Stand facing a wall with your hands on the wall at about eye level.Put the leg you want to stretch about a step behind your other leg. Keeping your back heel on the floor, bend your front knee until you feel a stretch in the back leg. Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds.Repeat 2 to 4 times.
- Towel stretch- Place a rolled towel under the ball of your foot, holding the towel at both ends. Gently pull the towel toward you while keeping your knee straight. Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds.