The bronchial tubes carry air into lungs from the mouth and the nose. When the lining of the bronchial tubes becomes inflamed or swollen, it is called as bronchitis.
Swelling makes airways narrow and breathing more difficult, the irritation can also lead to increased mucus production which can further narrow the airways.
Few Home Remedies Which should be Incorporated Into Daily Course
- Juice of holy basil (tulsi) leaves is given with honey. Betel leaves chewed or taken in the juice form aids expectoration and the juice of leaves of sunflower is given with a little-fried asafoetida (Hing).
- Frequent inhaling of the oil of Eucalyptus helps soothe the respiratory passages and free them from any obstruction. Adding a drop of this oil on a tablespoon of brown sugar or honey and taken thrice daily also helps to speed up recovery.
- Green tea leaves, mint leaves, jaggery, and holy basil (tulsi) leaves are boiled in some water and taken thrice daily.
- Powdered black pepper in small doses mixed with some ghee, honey, and sugar is efficacious.
- Make tea using liquorice (mulethi) roots. Chewing and sucking on liquorice root also helps.
- Keep a piece of black salt in the mouth, letting it dissolve slowly, swallowing the juice.
- Finely powdered coriander seeds (dhania) in small amounts with sugar and rice water helps when taken daily.
- A few garlic cloves should be taken daily in the morning or syrup is made by cutting up the garlic and covering it with honey and taking it in teaspoonful doses every hour.
- Make a mixture of two teaspoonfuls of ginger juice, one tablespoonful of lime juice and three tablespoonfuls of honey. Take this freshly prepared thrice daily
- Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and have it daily on an empty stomach.
- A mixture of one teaspoon of raw onion juice and one teaspoon of honey makes an excellent cough syrup.
- One of the most common household remedies for this condition is the powder of shunthi (dried ginger), pippali (long pepper) and maricha (black pepper) – all three mixed in equal quantity and the mixture is given in half teaspoonful doses, three to four times daily.
- Taking a teaspoonful of white radish juice with two teaspoonfuls of honey relieves spasmodic coughing and also prevents colds when taken on a regular basis.
- Also, a glass of fresh juice squeezed from fresh white radish is heated together with about ten grams of rock salt and is used for gargling, especially in cases where the patient complains of burning in the throat.
- Almonds, soaked overnight and then peeled and eaten the first thing in the morning are useful for a dry cough. Also, an emulsion of almonds is prepared by making a powder of seven kernels of almonds and mixing them in a cup of orange or lemon juice and taken once daily at night with beneficial results
- A mixture of beetroot and carrot juice is very useful in acute bronchitis
- A mixture of equal parts of powdered long pepper(pipli), ginger, black pepper, cinnamon (tuj) and caraway seeds is used.
- Lady’s fingers are highly valuable in treating the irritation of the throat and a persistent dry cough. About hundred grams of lady’s fingers should be cut into small pieces and boiled in half a litre of water to make a decoction. The steam issuing from this decoction should be inhaled once or twice a day to relieve the throat irritation and a dry cough.
- Keep red cardamom (elaichi) seeds in the mouth, chewing slowly and allowing the juice to slide down the throat. This is especially useful when there is irritation in the throat along with a cough.
Choose TWO /THREE solutions from above-mentioned home remedies and incorporate it into your daily routine.