With all the cozy days and holiday spirit that winter has to offer, it also comes with it's share of troubles - one among them is dealing with a sore and irritated throat. Sore throat is usually due to a viral infection and like all virals they run their course and go away.
A sore throat reduces our appetite and most of us tend to reduce our food intake, but in reality, if we eat the right nutritious food, it can help us to recover faster. In this article, we talk about foods that you can eat to heal a sore throat and things to do at home to tide over the illness.
Foods that are easy on a sore throat:
1. Take Bananas
Banana is not only a soft fruit that is simple to swallow, particularly when you have a sore throat, but it also high in fibre, vitamin B6, potassium, and flu-fighting vitamin C that help our body to fight this disease.
2. Honey And Lemon Juice
Lemon juice and honey mixture makes for a brilliant throat relieving alternative. A good remedy for fighting inflammation, your sore throat will soon feel better as the inflammation decreases. This mixture will also soothe down your aggravated throat apart from thinning any congestion.
3. Ginger Tea With Honey
Of course one of the best ways to calm an irritated and itchy throat is a hot cup of tea with ginger and honey. Ginger opens up sinuses and works well by clearing mucus from the nose and throat.
4. Boiled Carrots or Carrot Soup
Carrots work as super remedy food when you are sick, but they need to be boiled or steamed before eating. This is because consuming raw carrots can be risky for your sore throat and can further alleviate the pain. Other than this, carrots are also high in nutrients, like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber and potassium.
The best way to consume carrots to treat a sore throat is in the form of a soup - easy and yummy!
5. Scrambled Or White Eggs
They are easy to digest bland proteins, scrambled or egg white assists in dealing with inflammation and the pain of sore throat. However, make sure you do not eat the dish with spices as it can worsen the soreness of the throat.
Home remedies to get rid of a sore throat:
Your sore throat will take a few days to go. You can get relief from the following home remedies:
1. Gargle with salt water to heal swollen and inflammed tissues.
2. Staying hydrating is very important to make sure the throat does not go dry very soon. Sip on fresh fruit juices loaded with Vitamin C (orange or mosambi juice), eat warm soups and drink lots of lukewarm water throughout the day.
3. Keep throat lozenges with you all the time. Lozenges contain menthol, an ingredient that can gently numb the tissue in your throat. This can provide you with temporary relief from burning and pain sensations.
4. Use a humidifier when indoors to breathe in moist air.
5. Take a steamy shower or sit in a steamy bathroom and breathe in some steam. Your irritated throat will feel good.
While there is nothing much to worry with just a sore throat, you have to make sure it does not turn into a severe infection and further result in flu or a fever.
Stay warm, stay fit, stay healthy!