Constipation is a common condition in which you may have fewer than three bowel movements a week; stools are hard, dry or lumpy, stools that are difficult or painful to pass or a feeling that not all stool has passed.
Constipation may lead to piles or haemorrhoids and fissures with or without bleeding.
What causes constipation
1. Slow movement of stool through the colon.
2. Delayed emptying of colon from pelvic floor disorders, especially in women and colon surgery.
3. Functional gastrointestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome.
4. Medicine induced- Certain medicines and dietary supplements includes antacids containing aluminium and calcium, anticholinergic and antispasmodics, anticoagulants, calcium channel blockers, diuretics, iron supplements may either cause frequent stools or constipation alternating with diarrhoea.
5. Lifestyle changes or daily routine changes- include travel, when you ignore the urge to have a bowel movement, if you change your medicine, if you change how much and what you eat, as you reach certain age and if you get pregnant.
6. Certain health and nutrition problems- like not eating enough fibres, not drinking enough liquids or dehydration, not getting enough physical activity, celiac disease, conditions that affect your metabolism such as diabetes, conditions that affect your hormones such as hypothyroidism, inflammation linked to diverticular disease or proctitis, intestinal obstruction including anorectal blockage and tumours.
Home remedies for constipation
- Classically triphala is taken
- Drink more water
- Eat more fiber
- Exercise more, walking and
- Abdominal pranayam.
- Drink coffee especially caffeinated coffee
- Eat probiotic food or take probiotic supplements - At home eat curd and buttermilk
- Eat prunes
Homeopathic management and treatment
This condition indicates an internal imbalance that should be addressed holistically, not just the symptoms of it. Homeopathy works well and very safe for any problem at any age because the medicines used are all natural and in minute form. They help to bring back the normal health condition of the body by holistic way.