Allergic Rhinitis is also known as Hayfever, it causes inflammation of the lining of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity. This inflammation occurs when one comes in contact with something that one is allergic to. This could pollens or moulds or dust or smoke or any strong odour. This problem occurs more often in the autumn and spring season as the pollens are widespread at this time.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
The common symptoms of allergic rhinitis are sneezing, running nose and watery discharge from the eyes. There is irritation in the nose which causes sneezing to start and then watery discharge from the nose begins. There is discharge from the posterior nares that drains into the throat. This is called post nasal drip. One tends to lose the sense of smell. In chronic cases, the nose stuffs up or gets blocked. One cannot breathe through the nose easily. Such patients are forced to breathe through their mouth and keep their mouth open. Night time is the most difficult for such patients as they find it difficult to sleep. The mouth dries up as they breathe through the mouth instead of the nose. Sometimes, ears also tend to get blocked.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR ALLERGIC RHINITIS
Homeopathy is best placed to treat all sorts of allergies or allergic disorders. The reason for this is that it does not try to treat the symptoms of the allergies. Instead, it works to root out the cause of the allergies. The root cause in allergies happens to be a hyperactivity of the immune system. This hyperactive immune system goes into overdrive when it comes in contact with certain things. These things may be harmless in themselves. But the immune system tends to look at them as offenders and tries to react in a defensive manner. It tries to wash them off by producing excess mucus. The homeopathic medicines repair the immune system and the hyperactivity is corrected. Then the body reacts normally to the same things that used to cause the allergies.
MOST COMMONLY USED HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES FOR ALLERGIC RHINITIS ARE
1. Allium Cepa- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever with watery eyes when there is watery discharge from the eyes along with running nose, Allium Cepa is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever. The watery discharge from the nose is thin and acrid. At the same time, the discharge from the eyes is bland. The eyes become red and are sensitive to light. There is burning in the nose and eyes as from the cutting of onions. This medicine is in fact made from onions and it mimics the symptoms that occur when one cuts onions. There is the same burning in the eyes that we get when onions are being cut nearby in our presence. The patient feels better in the open air.
2. Arsenic Album- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with intense thirstIncases where there is an intense thirst and the patient feels worse in the open air, Arsenic Album is one of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis or Hay Fever. There is copious watery and excoriating discharge from the nose. There may be restlessness and anxiety with the other symptoms of hay fever. Thirst is increased through the patient drinks a little bit of water at one time. The symptoms are likely to be worse at night. There is an increased sense of weakness which is often disproportionate to the disease.
3. Natrum Mur- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with sneezing in cases where there is a lot of sneezing and in fact, the symptoms start with sneezing only, Natrum Mur does wonders and is one of the best homeopathic medicines for hay fever or allergic rhinitis. There is intense dryness of the mouth and the mucous membranes. The discharge from the nose is thin and watery and resembles the white of an egg. There is an increased desire to eat salt or salty food.
4. MercSol- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with sensitivity to heat and cold when there is increased sensitivity to both heat and cold and the patient cannot tolerate either, Merc Sol is very effective and is one of the best homeopathic medicines for allergic rhinitis or hay fever. There is a lot of sneezing and watery discharge from the nose. The patient is worse even in damp or wet weather. Increased sweating is another indication of this medicine. There is profuse salivation in the mouth. At times the salivation is so much that it keeps the mouth wet most of the time. Despite this increased salivation, the patient keeps on feeling thirsty. There may be foul smell from the mouth.
5. Arundo- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis with intense itching. When the episode begins with intense itching in the palate and the nose, Arundo is very much suited to the case and is one of the best homeopathic medicines for allergic rhinitis or hay fever. There is a lot of burning and itching in the nose, the eyes and the roof of the mouth. Sense of smell becomes diminished.