Nature is truly amazing, and if you were to probe further, you would find that even the parts of fruits and vegetables that you throw away as inedible or waste have nutritive or beneficial properties.
One such fruit is papaya, whose seeds are discarded because most people consider them to be unappealing to the eye and of no value. However, you will be surprised to know that, not only are papaya seeds perfectly edible, they also come with a range of health benefits.
Read on to find out more about it.
Potential Health Benefits of Papaya Seeds
1. Powerhouse of Nutrients: Research shows that papaya seeds are packed with nutrients. They contain fibre, antioxidants (substances that protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals) called polyphenols and flavonoids, and healthy fats called monounsaturated fatty acids.
All of these nutrients are beneficial for your health in various ways.
2. Fight Infections: Studies suggest that papaya seeds contain proteolytic enzymes (enzymes that break down protein) which are effective against bacteria, fungi, and parasites.
Thus, papaya seeds may help your body fight against infections, especially intestinal infections caused by these microbes.
3. Contribute to Kidney Health: The kidney is mainly responsible for removing waste and excess fluids from your body. However, it may get damaged in this process.
Research suggests that the antioxidants present in papaya seeds can prevent damage to your kidney cells and ensure their smooth functioning.
4. Improve Digestion: Papaya seeds are rich in fibre, which has various functions in your digestive system. Fibre helps control blood sugar and cholesterol levels and adds bulk to your stools to promote regular bowel movement.
Dietary fibre may also protect you against haemorrhoids (swollen veins in your lower rectum), intestinal ulcers, and inflammatory bowel disease. Thus, fibre-containing papaya seeds can contribute to the smooth functioning of your digestive system.
5. May Have Anti-Cancer Properties: Some studies suggest that papaya seeds may have anti-cancer properties. These properties could be attributed to their high antioxidant content, which protects your body against different cancer types.
Papaya seeds also contain a compound called benzyl isothiocyanate, which is known to inhibit the development of cancer cells. Thus, papaya seeds may be helpful in combating cancer.
Now you know that papaya seeds are nutritious as well as healthy, so you can enjoy them. However, eat them in moderation to avoid any side effects.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.