Are you burning up from inside? So what exactly is acidity? Acidity is when there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, that’s when a ‘burning sensation' is felt. Acidity is also called as Heartburn or Acid Reflux.
In this hectic lifestyle, acidity is the one thing that catches us off guard. It is one thing that all of us have faced regardless of what we do or where we stay.
Symptoms: post-meal heaviness, dyspepsia, burping, heartburn, gastric inflammation, nausea, etc.
Factors causing acidity:
- Irregular eating pattern/ timings
- Skipping meals
- Sedentary lifestyle/ Lack of physical activity
- Lack of sleep
- Too much intake of alcohol
- Spicy and fried food, etc
Good news is that - You can say goodbye to acidity forever by tweaking your lifestyle. Here are a few tips:
- Reduce your weight if overweight or obese.
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself well hydrated.
- Eat small frequent meals in a day and avoid skipping any meal.
- Eat whole grain, low-fat dairy and lean protein in diet like whole wheat, brown rice, low fat yogurt, skimmed milk, lean chicken, nuts, fish, eggs, etc. Preferred cooking method: steaming, grilling, baking, boiling.
- Eat healthy fats like Omega-3. E.g. Fish, flax seeds, olive oil, etc, and avoid saturated fats like mayonnaise, cream, etc.
- Eating non-citrus fruits like apple, banana and watermelon will help to neutralize the acid in your stomach.
- Eat your last meal at least 2-3 hours before sleeping.
- Include coconut water, buttermilk in diet. It helps to soothe the system if you suffer from acidity.
- Chew your food properly and eat slowly. It helps your stomach digest food more easily.
- Exercise daily.
- Sleep well.
- Manage stress. Try yoga!
- Avoid keeping long intervals between meals as it will cause acidity.
- Avoid wearing tight fitting clothes.
- Never lie down soon after you've had a meal.
- Avoid eating spicy foods.
- Avoid citrus fruits in diet. E.g. oranges, grapefruit, etc.
- Avoid all junk foods, including fried, high fat foods like pizza, burger, fries, and sugary products in diet.
- Avoid eating papad, pickles and processed food.
- Avoid drinking too much tea and coffee.
- Avoid drinking carbonated beverages and alcohol.
- Quit smoking.
Quick home remedies:
- Eat a few basil leaves or boil 3-4 basil leaves in a cup of water and let it simmer for a few minutes. Sip on it frequently.
- Drink a glass of cold milk. Milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach.
- You can chew few fennel seeds after meals, to prevent acidity.
- Sucking on a piece of clove is another effective remedy.Stay Healthy, Stay Happy!