ACL Tear (2 months)

I twisted my knee 2 months back while playing football. After few sessions with the orthopaedic, he said ive torn my ACL and suggested for a surgery. I can walk but whenever I use the stairs it pains. I can't put a lot of weight on my knee as well. It tends to give way and feels very unstable. Will physiotherapy be helpful? Considering that I would return to usual sports activities. If yes, How much time can it take to heal completely? Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (8) on ACL Tear (2 months)

Dr. Sachin Singh Ghaziabad | Orthopedist
Good morning ,as you had mentioned symptoms of instability are there had you've done an MRI to check whether its a complete year or partial tearif the tear is confirm  them definitely you need ACL Reconstruction surgery as you are very young and surgery will bring you back to normal life
Dr. Naaga Sathesh (PT) Guntur | Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
If it is a complete tear then should undergo a reconstructive surgery and then fallowed by rehabilitation for strength stability and proprioception for 6months before you return to sport. If  it is Grade 1 or 2 injury of ACL then straight away a good comprohensive approach of physiotherapy would help you with out any surgical intervention.
Dr. Rupak Chatterjee Nagpur | Pediatric Orthopedist
Completely agree with Dr Sachdev.
If you have complete ACL tear and want to return to sports you need to undergo surgical procedure to reconstruct the ACL.
Physiotherapy shall play a big role in the post operative rehabilitation.
Dr. Anuradha Sharma Noida | Orthopedic Physiotherapist
Laser treatment for acl healing.
Gradually strength exercises for stability and strength.
Like put a towel roll under knee and press for 20 sec then release do 20 times thrice a day.
Knee flexon,extension accordingly u. It will cure ur problem.
Prevention must.
Avoid long standing, sitting, cross legs,
Dr. Anshu S.R Sachdev Pune | Orthopedic Surgeon
If you have a complete ACL tear and there are occasional symptoms of buckling or instability, no amount of medication or physiotherapy will CURE it. If and like you said you want to return to sporting activities, ACL Reconstruction would be imperative. Fortunately it is an arthroscopic surgery without any significant surgical morbidity. Return to function takes 3-6 months. Though you are allowed to walk on the same evening after surgery but contact sports are permitted not before 6 months have passed post surgical ACL reconstruction. Usually the patients become almost normal in 3 weeks after surgery, extensive physiotherapy and rehab is required to regain lost muscle strength and Range of motion of the joint. There's a post ACL Recon Knee Rehab protocol which should be followed stringently to get the best results. Kindly see an orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in sports injuries and Arthroscopic surgery.
Dr. Tanuj Garg Noida | Physiotherapist
In this you need to undergo thorough examination from a physiotherapist and start with physiotherapy sessions & you need to be in your comfort zone positions in which you do not feel any pain for stairs climbing u need to take one step at a time.. take care and get well soon
Dr. Vishwas Virmani Noida | Physiotherapist
Avoid sitting Cross legged. Avoid Squatting- Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the keen against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain. Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day.
Dr. Rajiv Mehta Delhi | Clinical Physiotherapist
Knee injury as u explained can be cured by physiotherapy just we need to examine ur knee stability. Kindly visit www.physiotherapydelhi.in to know more.