For getting a well-toned body and strong bones, you don’t always need to hit the gym or lift heavy weights. You must be wondering if not gym then what? Yoga! Yoga is the right answer to the question. Yoga not only relaxes your mind and body but also help you get strong muscles and bones. By proper and regular practice of yoga, lean muscles can be built, calories can be burnt and excessive fat can be reduced. It is also a very great way to gain a healthy and strong body. All you need is just a mat and some time. That’s it!
It must be really astonishing to know that Yoga could help in strengthening the weak muscles as well as bones. Some recent studies even suggested that yoga can help in preventing osteoporosis as well. This ancient Indian practice not only prevents many health ailments but also promotes the physiological functions of the body. With the growing age, bone density starts to wither and bones become weak. Practicing yoga can help you slow down the ageing process and continue to keep the bones stronger. You just have to take out 15-20 minutes of your time from the whole day to help you get strong bones and muscles eventually.
Yoga helps in the formation and growth of new cells without destructing the existing one. Initially while doing yoga poses, you can feel some stress on your body but gradually you will be able to do them easily. Yoga isn’t just relaxing and stretching, when done correctly it can treat and prevent many diseases. How can Yoga be as effective as heavy weight lifting? So the answer is; you must have seen that while doing certain yoga poses you have to lift your own body weight up and engage the whole body in this. This is the reason why yoga can be equally amazing to gym for toned muscles and strong bones.
Now let’s learn about some of the effective Yoga Asanas (poses) for building strong muscles and bones:
- Warrior- In this yoga asana the target muscles are glutes, inner thigh, and quadriceps. Stand straight and turn one of your foot on 90 degrees. Now extend this foot backward and make the arch of another foot. Hold this pose of extended one leg and one knee flexed and leg extended for 1 minute.
- Dolphin- This yoga asana targets the upper body and core muscles. Lie down on the floor on your belly. Now raise your body up by lifting up your hips. Keep the arms resting on the floor. Keep your legs extended, maintaining some gap between both the legs.
- Plank- It is a kind of push up pose as you have to attain the same pose like in the pushups. Lie down on the belly and then push up your body. Take the posture as if for push up. All the body should be horizontally extended with the help of hands holding all of the weight and pressure on. In feet, weight should be on toes.
- Locust- This yoga pose targets the shoulder, core and back muscles. Hamstring muscles are also involved in this asana to some extent. Lie down on belly on the floor. Lift your legs up in the skyward position while knees should be somewhat bent. Lift up the arms in the skyward position. Now slowly raise your head up. Maintain the pose for 1 minute.
- High lunge- It involves the strengthening of glutes and quadriceps. Stand straight with your feet kept together and hands placed on hips. Now with left leg takes a long step back with right knee bending deeply. Keep the left foot in the forward direction and left on the 90-degree angle. Arms should be extended straight, skyward.
- Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose) - This is one of the easiest poses (asanas) of yoga that has multiple benefits. Along with strengthening the bones it also increases the flexibility of the spine and relieves gastritis. Stand straight with legs separated apart. Now bend at one side touching the feet with same side hand. Keep the other hand extended, skyward.
- Salabhasana (Locust Pose) - It strengthens the bones and muscles both. Lie down on belly on the floor. Lift your legs up in the skyward position while knees should be somewhat bent. Lift up the arms in the skyward position. Now slowly raise your head up. Maintain the pose for 1 minute.
- Vriksasana- It’s another name is tree pose and can be done by anyone easily. This yoga asana is very popular due and easy as well. Stand straight and join your hands in the posture of Namaskara. Now Place your any one of the legs on the opposite thigh, making a triangle. Hold this pose for 1 minute and come back to starting position.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana- It is a simple seated twisting pose that increases the flexibility and stimulates production. It also helps to relax neck and back. Sit erect with stretched out legs than bend one of the leg in the way that heel of the leg comes next to the opposite hip. Take over the other leg and place near the opposite knee. Twist your neck, waist, and shoulder and gaze on the same side. While taking this posture, make sure that your spine is erect.
- Ardha Chandrasana (Half-moon Pose)- This asana helps to tone abdomen, glutes, spines, and abdomen. Regular practice of this asana helps in relieving the pain and strengthens the bones. Stand straight with your legs placed apart. Now bend your waist on one side, keeping straight the upper half body and touch the floor with hand. Maintain this pose for 1 minute and then come back to the starting position.
Next time when you get some bone pains or worry grounds you down, practice some of these poses.
Practice Yoga, Stay Healthy!!