Kidney stones are formed due to increase in the concentration of the crystal forming substances like calcium, oxalate and uric acid in urine. Along with this, lack of substances which prevent these crystals from sticking to each other create an ideal environment for the formation of kidney stones. Lack of these substances are the causative factors of recurrent kidney stones.
Ayurveda treatment of Kidney stones is based on the following principles:
1. Diagnosing: The type of kidney stone according to the basic principles of Ayurveda- Vata, Pitta and Kapha. A detailed case history of the patient and Nadi pareekshan (pulse examination) is necessary to diagnose the type of Kidney stone.
2. Selecting Ayurvedic medicines and therapies: According to the Ayurvedic diagnosis of the Kidney stone- thus making "patient-specific medicines” which benefit patients as these are combinations of medicines which are tailor-made for each patient. (Ayurvedic medicines work best when these are tailor-made according to each patient. “One size fits all” rule seldom works in Ayurveda. Hence, Ayurvedic medicines are ultraprecise, custom made and natural and hence have no side effects.)
a. Oral Medicines: These includes:
- Tablets/Herbal powders/Decoction- The best combination of suitable medicines are selected as per the patient diagnosis
- Medicated Ghee- Cow’s Ghee fortified with the goodness of certain Ayurvedic herbs works the best in Kidney stones.
b. Panchakarma Therapies: According to the Ayurvedic diagnosis of the Kidney stones, suitable Panchakarma therapies are prescribed:
- Virechan- It consists of body cleansing by means of purgatives/laxatives. It needs to be preceded by a 5-day course of medicated ghee intake, abhyanga (oil massage) and Sweden (steam).
- Basti- Administration of medicated oils and kadha in the form of enema is called as Basti.
These medicines and Panchakarma therapies not only help in breaking down the stone easily that too without any discomfort but also corrects the flaw in the urinary system responsible for the formation of the kidney stones. This is why kidney stones seldom recur after Ayurvedic medicines and treatment.
Thus, Kidney stones can be cured without surgery using Ayurvedic medicines and Panchakarma therapies without any side effects.