Sneezing is the act of expelling a sudden and uncontrollable burst of air through the nose and mouth. Anything that irritates your nose can make you sneeze.
Although sneezing is usually not a sign of a serious condition, it can be annoying,especially when it happens frequently.
Causes: smoke, dust, pollen and other such irritants, cold weather,changes in humidity and temperature, rain water, strong smells, food allergies, etc.
Tips to reduce/ stop sneezing:
- Stay well hydrated. Water hydrates you and prevents sneezing triggered by dried nasal passages. Water flushes out the toxins, cleanses the body and offers relief.
- Sneezing and coughing release potentially infectious droplets that can stay in the air for quite some time. To minimize the risk of spreading germs to others, cover your mouth and nose with tissue or handkerchief when you cough or sneeze.
- Use a tissue and blow your nose when you feel a sneeze coming on. It should clear your sinuses of what caused the sneeze in the first place.
- Keeping your hands clean is crucial to avoid getting sick. Wash your hand often with soap and clean water. If soap and water are unavailable, then use hand sanitizer.
- If your sneezing is caused by allergies, you need to reduce your exposure to the allergen. E.g. changing furnace filters, keeping pets outside the home to get rid of animal dander, traveling to areas with low pollen counts, using air filters to reduce pollen in the air, avoid cold food and cold drinks, and washing sheets and towels in hot water to kill dust mites.
- Even stepping outside on a sunny day can cause some people to sneeze.Hence, wear sunglasses and put them on before you leave the house.
- Eat small frequent meals a day. Avoiding eating large meals at one time.
- Vitamin C is an antihistamine and thought to boost the immune system. Include it in your diet. Sources: citrus fruits, etc. Also be regular for your exercises, which will keep you healthy and boost your immune system.
- Don’t drink alcohol and don’t smoke.
- Speak to your doctor if your sneezing is very frequent.