Cold pack is a medical device which provides therapy treatment as indicated to relieve pain, reduces swelling and promotes healing. It can be used for minor bumps, cuts and bruises, muscle aches, strains and sprains, toothaches, headaches,minor burns and insect bites
Here are some tips on how to use a cold pack:
1. Remove cold pack from the freezer & place it in a towel before applying, to protect the skin from injury / frostbite. Never apply cold pack directly to the skin.
2. Apply the cold pack to the desired area for 10-15 minutes or till the time you feel temporary local anesthesia. Apply the cold pack by moving it in circular motions over the entire area. Preferably keep the area to be applied elevated above the heart level.
3. Never apply cold pack for more than 20 minutes at a stretch.
4. On application, you should feel mild anaesthesia, relief of pain & reduction in swelling in the area. Skin turns slightly red after cold application.
5. Inspect the area every 5 minutes, for any abnormal skin changes or signs of over cooling like discoloration or redness. If any redness, discoloration or pain appears on application, then discontinue the application.
6. Never apply cold pack to an area if you cannot appreciate the difference between hot and cold.
7. Never apply cold pack to an area if the circulation is hampered.
8. Repeat the cold pack application 3-4 times in a day. Allow at least 2 hours between each application.
9. Never use cold packs over opens wounds or ulcers.
10. Do not begin weight bearing exercises immediately after ice application.