The rainy season has something about it which makes us let ourselves loose and dance in the water. As the raindrops drench our whole body, we get a sense of peace and serenity.
It is the season where we feel the most romantic. But the rainy season brings a lot more than that. With monsoon comes various health and beauty issues; be it your skin, hair or general health, you feel the need to take special care of yourself.
Common hair problems in monsoon:
- Frizzy hair
- Dandruff and itchy scalp, etc
Tips for hair care during monsoon:
- Like your skin, your hair also needs hydration. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated
- Use the right comb to untangle your hair. Use a wide-toothed comb
- Do not comb your hair when it is wet. Also never tie your hair when its wet
- The romantic or dull weather somehow makes people eat a whole lot of oily and junk food. The greasiness coupled with the bad weather naturally wreaks havoc on your system and also results in hair-fall. Instead, try eating healthy. Prefer eating homemade and include more of fruits and vegetables, whole grains (e.g. brown rice, oats, whole bread, etc), lean protein (sprouts, lean chicken, fish, nuts,etc), low fat dairy (skimmed milk, low fat yogurt, etc) and healthy fats like omega 3 fat (walnuts, olive oil, flax seeds, fish) in diet
- Nothing’s as good for your hair during the monsoon as a good old hair oil massage. Hence, oil your hair atleast twice a week. Oil massage for scalp is needed in all seasons and monsoon is no exception. Your scalp needs nourishment and stimulation for hair growth
- The humidity often attracts a lot of dirt and dust to your hair which then settles down and makes hair brittle and heavy. Wash your hair atleast twice a week. Use a mild shampoo and always dilute the shampoo with an equal quantity of water and then apply it to the scalp
- Carry an umbrella or a raincoat at all times, and in case you forget to carry one, cover your hair with a stole or a scarf and avoid exposing your hair to the rain
- Use a conditioner after every wash but apply it on the shaft and not on scalp and roots
- Exercise daily
- Sleep well
- Avoid stress and try yoga
- Avoid different hair styling, just keep hair in simple and loose, not too tight it with a rubber band
- Avoid eating all refined, processed, sugary, salty food and aerated drinks
- Avoid chemical treatments, like permanent straightening of your hair, etc
- Avoid hair dryers and colouring
- Don't smoke and avoid drinking alcohol
- Soak fenugreek (methi) seeds in water overnight. Strain the water the next day and use this water to wash your hair. Methi is effective for many hair problems like hair fall, dandruff and dryness.
- Mix two spoons of curd with an egg and apply it on your hair for 15-20 minutes. Use this mixture as a conditioner after you shampoo your hair. It will make your hair soft and shiny.