Having tried numerous products such as oils, natural remedies and medications, losing hair can be a harrowing experience that will literally make you pull your hair out!
Reasons for hair fall
Hair fall causes can vary from individual to individual depending upon family history and genetic makeup. It can either be temporary or a chronic condition. Temporary causes of hair fall include a severe bout of any illness, specific medications or hormonal changes like pregnancy. Long term cases of hair fall usually occur due to male hormones i.e. androgens leading to male pattern baldness. Male pattern baldness is somewhat unavoidable and a hand-me- down from your father and it is important to accept this natural process of hair loss. Hair loss can be a challenging condition to deal with; however we can definitely survive it and reduce the intensity and progress of hair loss considerably.
These easy hair hacks will help you keep your crowning glory!
Twenty best tips to reduce hair fall and hair loss
- Do no harm! Start by avoiding too many chemicals- dyes, colours, conditioners, spa treatments and styling products.
- Avoid styling and hair treatments. They make the hair brittle and dry. Avoid using hair straighteners, hair curlers and blow dryers on a regular basis.
- Pop proteins! Our hair shaft is made up of protein so the best thing you can do is to include loads of protein rich food in the diet. These include milk, dairy products, meats, eggs, nuts, pulses and protein shakes.
- Stay hydrated. Drink loads of water, it not only improves growth but promotes healthy hair.
- Go green! Fresh fruits, veggies and green leafy vegetables give all your trace vitamins and minerals like zinc and magnesium that are important for your hair.
- Include Vitamin C in diet. Vitamin C helps to maintain hair strength and lustre. Good sources of Vitamin C include oranges, lemons, amla and other citrus fruits.
- Iron is required for hair growth and hair lustre. Ask your family physician to prescribe you iron supplements if you have deficiency symptoms.
- The thumb rule is never to overwash your hair. Washing hair is necessary to remove dirt and grime, however, too much washing can strip the scalp of natural oils.
- Wash your hair once in three days to avoid dirt and sweat. This also minimises scalp infections.
- When washing your hair, avoid hot water as it can leave hair follicles open, encouraging breakage and hair fall.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair.
- Massaging your hair and scalp with oil is good for moisturisation and nourishment. It helps to keep the scalp healthy and well hydrated. Make sure you wash it off before you step outdoors.
- Hair is most susceptible to breakage when wet. So don't comb your hair roughly when wet. Do not rub vigorously with a towel after shower. This only encourages more breakage of hair.
- Use a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair after a wash. It reduces breakage.
- Refrain from tying your hair in tight ponytails or tight pigtails. This can lead to traction alopecia which is a type of hair loss.
- Though difficult to practise,it is important. Avoid stress and stressful conditions. Practise meditation techniques and yoga asana. This keeps your hair loss under control as also promotes overall health and well-being.
- Quit smoking as smoking causes reduced blood flow to the scalp which can hamper hair growth.
- Use hair packs containing coconut milk to promote hair growth.
- Natural homemade hair packs are good, however, another good option is a hair spa which includes deep moisturisation of hair. This prevents breakage and split ends.
- Lastly, if hair fall is severe under medical guidance, you can have medications such as minoxidil which stimulates hair growth.
These simple tips are easy to follow and it is recommended to follow them regularly for great results. If you hair fall or hair loss problem is significant, consult a dermatologist on Practo immediately!