WHAT IS DIABETES?
Diabetes is a disease in which too little or no insulin is produced or insulin is produced but can't be used normally which results in high levels of sugar in the blood..
There are 3 types of diabetes:
- TYPE 1 DIABETES: In this the body does not produce insulin on his own. Dietary modifications along with insulin infection are required to control sugar levels in this type of diabetes.
- TYPE 2 DIABETES: The body does not produce enough insulin. People with poor lifestyle, overweight are at risk of developing this type of diabetes. Also genes are responsible for this type of diabetes.
- GESTATIONAL DIABETES: This occurs during pregnancy and requires constant monitoring as it may affect the overall outcome of the pregnancy..
SIGNS THAT YOU HAVE DIABETES:
- Increased thirst
- Increased hunger
- Dry mouth
- Frequent urination
- Unexplained weight loss
- Feel tired, weak
If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms , consult the doctor and go for diabetes test. With the right therapeutic diet, exercise, and proper medication, one can control diabetes and with this you will also start moving towards a healthy lifestyle.
- Avoid fried foods as they are full of calories and may lead to weight gain and complicate the things more rather than go for grilled or roasted foods.
- Use toned and skim milk and milk products.
- Increase intake of fresh veggies in form of salads and soups as the fiber in them will not only take care of glucose levels but will also protect your heart.
- Use whole pulses and whole grains like oats, daliya, multi grain atta, etc rather than refined ones like maida.
- Take small meals at regular interval of time so as to maintain blood glucose levels.
- Avoid colas, fruit juices as they have sugar content and will only provide you with empty calories rather than go for fresh fruits.
- Avoid packaged and tinned food as they contain high amount of sodium and preservatives.
- Don't fast and feast . Fasting may lower blood glucose level whereas feasting will increase blood glucose level.
- Go for walk regularly.
Consult an experienced dietitian for a good and healthy therapeutic diet chart.
Enjoy journey to health..!!