Much like women, men have been judged over the years for their appearance.
From a stylish outfit to being in shape to a healthy head of hair, the overall appearance of a male can influence the way he is perceived by others.
The importance of our appearance to others is one of the big reasons male hair loss can deal a huge blow to the self-esteem of men. Hair loss can change the way men see themselves as well as the way they think others see them on a daily basis.
While some men who experience hair loss accept their hair loss and move on, there are others who suffer from psychological and social issues following their hair loss.
Some examples of these issues include:
• As the loss of the hairline often contributes to a person looking older, this can cause a man to lose confidence in his appearance. This issue is amplified even more when the hair loss occurs at an early age due to the fact that a good number of his contemporaries often still have a full head of hair.
• Hair loss can have an effect on relationships as men often feel that the loss of their hair signals the end of their youth and attractiveness to others.
• Suffering from hair loss can cause a few issues in the workplace as men who are balding are often perceived as being older. This can lead some employers to see the balding male as less likely to have the current skills necessary to succeed in the workplace
.• While some men are able to easily accept the loss of their hair, there are others who fall into a state of depression thanks to their changed appearance. One of the main issues men feel with hair loss is a loss of control over their lives. They often have increased anxiety and despair thanks to the feeling of not being able to do anything about the change in their appearance.
• Some research has shown that hair loss can lead to a general feeling of being ugly and even, in some extreme cases, body dysmorphic disorder where a person has overwhelming anxiety about their looks.
• Hair loss can also lead to instances of social avoidance where the person avoids attending social gatherings and other events to avoid being seen with a balding appearance by others.
It’s important to remember that hair loss is often easily treated. In many cases, the hairline can be restored to the point that the results are very natural looking and others will not be able to tell that a hair restoration procedure has occurred. From FUT and FUE surgery to non-surgical alternatives such as Minoxidil and finasteride, there are a number of treatment options available to patients of all ages. The first step in the hair restoration process for males suffering from hair loss is scheduling a consultation appointment with a doctor in order to discuss the best treatment plan to achieve the results they desire.