Hair loss causes psychological distress across all ages, gender and races. It may lead to low self-esteem and depression.Treatment of androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness is challenging with limited therapeutic options. Topical minoxidil and oral finasteride are FDA approved medicines for androgenetic alopecia treatment.
Recently PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy has attracted attention in several medical fields, including plastic surgery, orthopaedic surgery, dental surgery, sports medicine, infertility treatment and cardiac surgery.
Numerous studies have shown beneficial effects of PRP in androgenetic alopecia or patterned baldness, both in men as well as women. Platelets associated growth factors stimulate the stem cells and other cells in the microenvironment of the hair follicle. According to studies, PRP has the ability to decrease hair loss, increase the thickness of existing hair and regrow hair that has been dormant for less than 5 years.
PRP therapy for hair loss involves withdrawing a small amount of patient's own blood, centrifuge it to obtain growth factor enriched cells (Platelet Rich Plasma). It is injected into the scalp or areas to be treated using a special microneedle. Injections are superficial and through micro-needles, they cause minimal discomfort.
Advantages of PRP therapy in hair loss are:
- Simple, non-surgical procedure
- Short duration, with treatment taking no more than 15-20 min
- Safe with reliable results in terms of hair loss reduction and volume gain
- Suitable for both men and women
- No recovery period can be done as a Lunch-Time procedure
- Can be combined with other hair loss treatments for synergistic effect
- Beautiful and natural end results with increased volume of hair
- Cost Effective
PRP therapy is a very natural, innovative method in hair loss treatment.