Menopause is the time when women stop having a menstrual period. A reduction in estrogen hormone can lead to menopause. The menopause will happen between ages of 40 to 55.
Many women experience a variety of symptoms as a result of the hormonal changes :
- Loss of bone density
- Disturbance in cholesterol levels
- Increased risk of heart diseases
- Mood swings
- Vaginal dryness
- Painful intercourse
- Weight gain
- Hot flashes
- Breast changes
- Urinary Incontinence
- Tanning of the skin
Dietary modifications for menopause
- Eat at least three servings of Iron rich food a day . Iron is found in lean red meat , fish , egg , leafy green vegetables , nuts and enriched grain.
- Take calcium-rich and vitamin D enriched food like dairy products, fish, broccoli and legumes.
- Eat enough fibre such as whole grain bread, cereals, pasta, rice, fresh fruits and vegetables. It also reduces cholesterol level.
- Eat fruits and vegetables daily.
- Drink plenty of water every day .
- Cut back on high fat foods . You should avoid high fats such as fatty meat , ice cream, and cheese and watch out for transfats found in vegetable oil.
- Use sugar and salt in balance.. To avoid alcohol every day .
- Take low glycemic index carbs like oats , millets, quinoa, and barley as compared to rice , wheat , Jawar, bajra .
- Exercise for weight loss during menopause .Exercise is very important for muscles and bone.
- Eat more protein- add protein such as egg, chicken, fish, tofu, cheese, sprouts, curd, soya bean, whole pulses.