Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS is very common amongst women of reproductive age. This condition affects the ovaries and is one of the leading causes of infertility. Increased hair fall is one of the other effects of this disease. According to Ayurveda, PCOS brings the Kapha dosha that normallycan be found in the upper half of the body downwards along with the Pittadosha. This affects the Prana-Vyana-Apana axis. One of the impacts of this misbalanceis a loss of nutrition to tissues including the hair follicles. Without propernutrition, the hair follicles begin to die and fall off. Thus, addressing the Prana-Vyana-Apana axis is one way to treat hair fall caused by PCOS.
Some forms of Ayurvedic treatment that can be used for this include:
- Sarvangadhara: This involves pouring medicated oils or milk or decoction over the body as per the condition of the patient.
- Shirodhara: In this form of treatment, milk or medicated oils etc.are poured in a continuous stream over the head.
- Udwarthana: Dry Powder massage for removal of Kapha or ama dosha.Abhyanga: A massage with medicated Oil or Ghrutam.
- Swedana: Sweat inducing treatments for elimination of toxins.
Other forms of Ayurvedic Medicaments and Panchkarma treatment that may be used to treat PCOS and hair fall associated with it are:
- Panchakarma: It means 5 therapies. These 5 therapies (i.e Vaman, Virechan, Basti, Nasyam, Raktamokshan) themselves vary from case to case. Thishelps deal with a number of issues caused by PCOS. For example, it helpsregulate body weight, hormonal secretions, removes toxins, decreases resistanceto insulin and enhances metabolism. The effect of this can also be seenon hair growth as hair fall is lessened and hair regrowth isenhanced.
- Ayurvedic Medicaments or Herbal Remedies: A number of herbs also have a beneficial effect on hair fall caused by PCOS. They stimulateovulation and regulate menstruation to balance hormone levels,destroy cysts in the ovaries, regulate blood flow during menstruation andaid in natural conception. Some of these herbs include Ashokarishta, Shatavari, Rajapravartini Vati, Kumaryasava, Dashamoola kashayam, etc. which has to be taken as per the condition of the body under the guidance of expert Ayurvedic consultants.
- Yoga: Specific Yoga asanas are beneficial for hair loss along with treating PCOS. It helps release stress and eases the symptoms associated withPCOS including hair fall. Pranayama is one of the primary yoga exercises beneficial for PCOS. This helps relax the mind and detoxify the system. Other yoga asanas that can help reduce hair fall include the Suryanamaskar, Bhujangasana, Sirsasana, Salabhasana, Sarvangasana, and Badhakonasana, Vakrasana.
Along with this, it is necessary to eat a well-balanced diet, avoid junk food, get adequate sleep at night and meditate regularly to improve one’s emotional health. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert and get answers to your questions!