Whenever we are overusing our muscles, some wear and tear take place and this change is temporary and repairable by natural response of the body to Build itself with the help of Food and Rest.
Suppose this does not happen and the enthusiasm of youth is in a hurry to go to the office ASAP?
- Muscles break down leading to the slight rise in levels of mineral Potassium ( more than 5 is risky).
- High levels of Potassium can give rise to Flutter in Heart, increase in rate, Arrhythmias and Sudden Death.
- Potassium is present in Lemon and other Citrus fruits.
- Potassium can be elevated due to certain drugs for BP like ACE inhibitors and Beta blockers which are used as Cardio-Protective agents and given to people with Normal BP / Migraine / Unexplained Headaches. These medicines are given to people who suffer from Blackouts which serve as a Warning for impending Stroke.
Kidneys are filters of the body, if affected and do not work well can also lead to rising in levels of Potassium.
And We Thought That Common Salt with Sodium as a Mineral is Poison and us as Doctors have been Recommending to take Less of Table Salt and More of Potassium through Citrus Fruits to Ward Off Effects of High Sodium in the Blood.
Take Care to Keep the Levels of Both Potassium and Sodium within Reasonable Limits.
A Creatinine binding test CK that tells us about damage to muscles ( including muscles of the heart) was used to Confirm a Heart Attack but not anymore as a Specific test like Troponin is raised Only When Muscles of Heart are Damaged.
If Fond of Exercise,
- Do take some rest to let the damaged, overworked muscles get time to repair.
- Eat a High Protein Diet.
- Take Less of Citrus Fruits: Take More of Pineapple, Guava, Apples, Papaya & Pears. ( avoid oranges and Sweet lime).
- Avoid Bananas, Mango, Amla, Seetaphal, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and leafy vegetables including Amarnath ( Chaulai-the pink leafy vegetable)
- Take As Much As You Like - Cucumbers, Beetroot, Lauki, Broad Beans, Fenugreek leaves (Methi is an Exception ), Peas, Lettuce, Radish, green mangoes, Bottle Guard and Tinda/Lauki/Ghia.
- Avoid Tomatoes which are otherwise a Storehouse of Vitamins, Minerals and Precursors of Vitamins.
Do Exercise and take part in Marathons but take few precautions about foods which were ( are) considered Healthy but they may raise levels of Potassium in blood through broken down muscles needing a Repair Therapy.