Summer & monsoon are definitely not the best time for the skin. This is because of the high heat and humidity. On the other hand, if one stays indoors in the air-conditioned environment the skin becomes dry & lifeless. The sun & heat protection, regular cleansing & nourishment is the key to keep skin healthy irrespective of the season. Also, what one eats is sure to show on their skin. The nature has gifted us with fruits which if we include in our daily diet will help counteract the extreme weather conditions. These fruits also help in boosting the skin health making it look radiant and fresh.
1. WATERMELON - It consists of about 92% water content. Therefore, it helps to flush out toxins from body and keeping digestive system in track.Watermelon is a boon for the skin especially for those who have acne-prone or sensitive skin. As it is enriched with Vitamin A, it works wonders on pores by reducing its size and thus in turn reducing oil production by sebaceous glands.It is also loaded with vitamins like vitamin A, B1, B6 and C. It has ample amounts of lycopene, flavonoids and carotenoids in it. Lycopene helps in removing free radicals thus preventing the skin damage. Additionally, it also prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth too.
DIY Watermelon is an amazing solution for damaged and tanned skin. So, here's a quick DIY which one can try - Add equal amount of honey to cold watermelon juice. Use cold water to wash the face and then gently pat dry. Apply the mixture and let it stay for 30 minutes. Wash it with cold water.
2. PAPAYA - Papaya is one of the must add items in one's diet for clear & hydrated skin.It is rich in minerals like copper, potassium and magnesium and is also enriched with ample amounts of vitamin like vitamin A, C and B.This wonder fruit also has anti-fungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties and thus this work wonders in curing various skin infections, eczema, etc.
DIYs - Take a small chunk of papaya, mash it nicely and mix with honey. Apply on the face and rinse after 10 to 15 minutes. This helps combat dryness. Mix papaya pulp with some almond oil. It works very well on dry and flaky skin. The enzymes in papaya prevent oil buildup and impurities on the scalp, which is a main cause of dandruff. It also works as hair conditioner (when used in small amounts) to give a nice shine to dull, unruly and lifeless hair.
3. BANANA - This fruit gives us much-needed boost of instant energy and also has skin healing properties.Apart from being rich in dietary fibre, vitamin A, vitamin C, Vitamin E and vitamin K, banana has ample amounts of phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and calcium.It also has antioxidant properties and works well as a skin moisturiser.
DIYs - Take some mashed banana and apply all over face your face for 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water for some instant baby glow on your skin.It keeps your hair soft and damage-free by preventing breakage and split ends. It maintains the natural elasticity of your hair and strengthens and volumizes fine hair. Blend banana with 2-3 tablespoon of yoghurt and apply it on hair and rinse after 30 minutes.
4. STRAWBERRIES - Strawberries are rich in alpha-hydroxy acid/salicylic acid and vitamin C in abundance. Needless to say, the consumption of strawberries is really helpful in having a clear & beautiful skin. This fruit is also rich in ellagic acid which helps in preventing wrinkles, collagen destruction and also protects the skin from UV damage.
DIYs - Add them to smoothies and shakes for daily consumption. Apply the pulp on face and neck. This face mask will help to prevent acne breakouts, prevent acne scars and provide a dewy glow to the skin. Strawberries act as a natural and mild exfoliant. Just crush the strawberries and exfoliate the face to instantly get fresh looking skin. Make a smooth paste with 5-6 strawberries, yogurt, coconut oil and 1 egg. Apply this mask on hair and leave it on for at least 20 minutes. It will help to eliminate the frizz and make the hair look smooth & glossy.
5. GREEN WATER COCONUT - Fresh coconut water is any day better than the sugar laden cold drinks, more so in the hot weather.It has a good dose of potassium & supports youthful skin. Potassium also promotes better nutrient & oxygen delivery in skin.
DIYs - One can drink green coconut water or use it as a toner on face to get soft, bright & youthful skin.Flesh of tender green coconut mixed with egg yolk and lavender oil works magic for dry and frizzy hair. They have anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. The flesh of tender coconut is laden with many minerals which promotes hair growth.
6. PINEAPPLE - Pineapple has low calories and is rich in fibre.It stimulates collagen synthesis & helps in shedding of dead skin cells.This fruit is also rich in anti-oxidants, therefore fights free radicals and controls the signs of ageing on the skin.The presence of bromelain, makes it a good anti-inflammatory & healing agent. Hence, it can help in reducing inflammation caused by sunburn or acne.
DIYs - These DIYs are quite helpful in hydrating the skin. Extract pineapple juice. Use cotton ball to apply it on the face. Wash it off after 5 minutes. Take 3 tablespoons of pineapple juice and mix it with 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of milk. Apply on the skin and wash it off after 10 minutes.
7. CUCUMBER - Cucumber has high water content & a nice mix of vitamin K, A, C & essential minerals like potassium & magnesium along with fibre.his fruit replenishes lost moisture in the body, and soothes the skin.
DIYs - One can eat cucumber as it is or apply it on the skin as a natural toner. This helps in getting soft & refreshed skin.One can also get the skin benefits of cucumber by drinking cucumber infused Water.Grate the cucumber and put it on the eyes. Let it be there for 10 minutes and then rinse it off. This can help reduce the dark circles. Harsh but true, our skin is the victim of our poor lifestyle choices and ignorance (and dust and pollution). Maybe we are not blessed with the "perfect skin" genes, but we can turn that around if pay attention to what we eat and what we apply to our skin.
Undoubtedly, one of the best ways to rejuvenate our skin is to consume fruits on regular basis. One can also invest 10 minutes of time every day to try out these home remedies or DIYs to witness the great difference in skin health.