Men and woman, with some sexually arousing stimulus, proceed through orgasm and end with a return of the body to a sexually unstimulated state. This is described in four stages: Excitement, Plateau, Orgasm, and Resolution. There is no sharply defined moments when one stage ends and the begins. Each phase merges with the next phase.
Excitement in Women:
- Vaginal lubrication within 10 to 30 second. The lubrication occurs with equal promptness whether the stimulus is direct to genital region or to her breasts or an erotic train of thoughts.
- Source of vaginal lubrication is the sweating reaction occurring on the walls of vagina. It seeps out of congested blood vessels.
- Expansion of inner two third of vagina. Elevation of cervix and uterine body. Thickening of vaginal walls and of the labia.
- Swelling of the Clitoris.
- Enlargement of the breasts, swelling of the areolas and erection of the nipples.
Men & Women:
Muscle tension rises. Heart rate increases. Blood pressure rises.
Women: ‘Orgasmic Platform’ appears in the outer third of vagina. This is due to engorgement and swelling of the surrounding tissues. This reduces the diameter of vagina in that area and thus grips the penis, giving erotic stimulus man.
- Ballooning of the inner two third of vagina and further elevation of the uterus.
- Elevation of the clitoris. It seems to be retracted.
- Labia Major a become more engorged.
- Secretion from Bartholin glands at the entrance of vagina.
- Further increase in the size of breasts.
Women: Women has physical capability of being multiorgasmic i.e. they can have one or more additional orgasms within a short time, provided she receives continued effective sexual stimulation. Multiple orgasm seems to occur during masturbation than during intercourse. Women has no ‘refractory period’.
The anatomical and physiological changes that occurred during excitement and the plateau phase reverse. The orgasmic platform disappears. As the blood is pumped away from tissues, the uterus moves back into the resting phase. The vagina begins to shorten in both width and length. Clitoris returns to its usual size and position. The breast decrease in sie and areola flattens.
Men and Women: Mutual orgasm of both is not possible. It is better to allow woman to have orgasm prior to man’s by manual stimulation of clitoris, or ‘woman in top’ position. There is no difference in sexual responses by masturbation, by sexual intercourse or by artificial coitus.
Orgasm is always clitoral in origin. The vaginal orgasm is a myth. Women are capable of responding to point of orgasm as quickly as males by clitoral stimulation (but not through intercourse).