Managing your pain. Arthritis can cause pain in one particular part of the body or more widespread joint and muscle pain. Medications will help but a physiotherapist can tell you about other methods of pain relief that work alongside your medications.
Physiotherapy plays an important role in treating arthritis. Here are few ways how a physiotherapist can help in treating arthritis.
● Develop an individualized plan of exercises to improve flexibility, strength, coordination and balance to achieve optimal physical function
● Teach proper posture and body mechanics for common daily activities to relieve pain and improve function
● Focus on proper use of assistive devices such as walkers and canes
● Recommend different treatment options, such as braces and splints to support joints, shoe inserts to relieve stress on the lower extremities, and hot and cold therapy to ease joint pain and stiffness
● Suggest modifications to the environment, such as ergonomic chairs or a cushioned mat so as to relieve pain and improve function