"Kidney stones- Hard deposits in the filtration unit of the body which affect function"
- Family history [It is rare]
- Age between 20 to 70 years.Males are more prone to develop a stone than female.
- Dietary factors. Consumption of food which is high in proteins, sodium & low in calcium.
- Surgeries like gastric bypass or bowel inflammation or diarrhoea.
- Calcium stones:- Most commonly occurring stones known as calcium oxalate. Caused due to high intake of Vit D or metabolic disorders.
- Struvite stones: These stones are horn shape. Caused mostly due to urinary tract infections.
- Uric acid stones: High protein diet is generally responsible for uric acid stones, certain medical conditions like gout or genetic factors causes uric acid stones.
- Cysteine stones: This type of stone is observed in people who have a hereditary defect like cystinuria.
Symptoms of kidney stones:
- Pain during urinating or find blood in urine.
- Sharp pain is felt in the back and the lower region of the abdomen which can last for the long or short span. Some people may also feel a rise of nausea along with this pain.
Dietary changes should be followed:
- Drink minimum 9-10 glasses of water every day.
- Strictly avoid Rhubarb, beet, okra, spinach.
- A regular diet with low salt & animal proteins.
- Restriction of calcium intake does not decrease the chances of stone formation.