Delhi has been announced as the most polluted city in the world. This certainly isn’t a great milestone to reach. The Air Quality Index has crossed 800+ in some regions of the capital (0-50 is good, 500+ is severely dangerous). This has called for a health emergency situation. So, what can you do personally to protect yourself from pollution or its effects?
Keep these points in mind and follow them religiously:
- Drinks lots of water. Drinking sufficient water will flush out the toxins and harmful particles from your body.
- Just covering your mouth with cloth or comfort mask will do little, wear respiratory masks every time you go out, says our senior doctor, Dr. Suresh Bansal.
- Plant lots of indoor plants at home to act as natural air purifiers.
- Don’t smoke as the air is already bad enough for your lungs and you don’t need an add-on.
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- If you go for morning and evening walks, avoid that and workout at home.
Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule on how you can completely avoid the pollution but every one of us has to do our bit not only in protecting ourselves but helping the environment too. Don’t burst crackers in your celebrations and make the least use of private vehicles.
If anyone at your home is coughing excessively or showing signs of other discomfort, take them to the nearest hospital.