It occurs when the body stops producing the pigment melanin responsible for the dark colour of hair, it turns to grey hair. Greying of hair is a natural process and as the man ages, the capability to synthesize the normal amount of melanin pigment declines this ultimately results in grey or whitening of hair.
COMMON CAUSES OF GREY HAIR:
1. Dietary deficiencies: Deficiency of vitamin B12, zinc and copper also causes an early appearance of grey hair. This is because these nutrients assist the metabolic process involved in giving hair it's natural colour.
2. Genetic traits: One of the most common reasons for having grey hair in your genes. In such cases, it is extremely difficult to do anything about it.
3. Environmental pollution: The daily pollution that we encounter makes our hair strands weak. With time, this also leads to grey hair.
4. Smoking: Smoking leads to free radicals being formed in the body. These free radicals cause oxidative stress, leading to decreased melanin, which promotes greying of hair.
5. Stress: Hypertension, stress, and anxiety are leading causes of premature greying of hair. The hair you lose due to stressful events, such as chemotherapy, may grow back grey hair.
6. Thyroid problems: Peoples who suffer from thyroid tend to grey hair earlier.
DIET IN PREMATURE GREY HAIR
1. Almonds: Add almonds in your diet as they are rich in Vitamin E, which are important for hair health
2. Walnuts: Walnuts contain biotin, which reduces the occurrence of prematurely grey hair.
3. Fresh greens: Spinach, celery, capsicum, cabbage, cucumber, and other green leafy vegetables
4. Triphala: Triphala consists of three fruits such as amalaki, bibihitali and hartaki. Each one of them is good for your hair, skin, and eyes. Drinking a glass of Triphala water prevents greying of hair. It makes your hair healthy and strong.
5. Salmon: Salmon is rich in selenium, which helps in the production of the hormone. Salmon is also rich in proteins. It helps prevent the greying of hair. So, get some fish for you.
REMEDIES FOR GREY HAIR
- Increase the intake of green leafy vegetables and vitamin C - rich fruits- Massage your hair with any oil of your choice, then wash with a mixture of 2 tsp shikakai powder, 1/2 tsp reetha, and 1/2 tsp amla powder.
- Make a paste of curry and henna leaves, mixed with any hair oil. Use it an anti-ageing mask for your hair.
- Replace harsh shampoos with organic ones.
- Brew 5-6 tsp of black tea. Mix it with your hair conditioner. Apply on hair and leave for 1-2 hours.
- Massage your scalp every night with amla juice, almond oil and few drops of lemon juice. This prevents premature greying hair.
- Grate fresh ginger, mix with honey and set aside in a jar. Eat one tsp daily.